Coronavirus and other Off Topic stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Another big difference: Depending on the sources, between 47% and 68% of Chinese men smoke. (In Indonesia it's 76% - WOW).

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Any (virus) numbers at this point are grapes in the large jello mold. You can see them, but you can't quite get a grip on 'em. Way way way too many unknowns ... not a wise move to try and stand on any of those numbers ... that ill-advised person will surely tumble down.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Another big difference: Depending on the sources, between 47% and 68% of Chinese men smoke. (In Indonesia it's 76% - WOW).

My Chinese martial arts teacher was a heavy smoker. He eventually died of lung cancer. Though, he did live to 92.

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I consult to companies in the event business. The difference between last week and now is mind blowing. Meetings, conferences and events are being canceled by the minute. A lot of people will lose their jobs. Some will lose their companies. I don’t know how we prevent a recession.
Interesting to see from your standpoint, Bill...

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Didn't someone state to be careful of plastic bubble wrap from China? That's funny........I think? Ace

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
bio-weapon developed in North Carolina BSL-4 facility. Chinese came over bought it. Took back to Wuhan BSL-4 lab ( labs are all over the globe) escaped somehow (accidentally)
It's a lab contrived virus;
1989 UN Law against bio weapon development never adhered to

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
As scary as it is, it kind of sucks on the weapon scale. Kill mostly the very old people and pretty much leave military age people alone? I can believe escaped research toy though.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Last edited:

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Johns Hopkins has an interactive map - interestingly the cases reported in China have levelled off. But who knows if that's real or just reported, or if people reporting the numbers have died. Also interesting is that Russia appears to be lying through their teeth.

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I live in Solano County where the first case of community spread occurred here in the US weeks ago.

We will all be exposed at some point. It's part of the environment now. Assume you will and not that you can avoid it forever cause you can't.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Boggles the mind just how susceptible people are to such BS ...

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
So the 'talk' now is whether this is a "9/11" event in the sense of... what change will this bring.. I read/saw/ heard/ folks are being scanned...going in to simple grocery stores... will roadblocks and checkpoints..be next.....what's really going on here

SpinaDude

Reaction score
The reality is that even 96.6% is selection bias, since most people who get the virus have a mild enough case to never seek medical attention. It's only 3.6% of those who go to the doctor for it that die.
Anyone else here notice...the corona virus only caught traction in the US news once the Trump impeachment was over? The news media needs something to sell. It's all they do. And the more they can scare you, the more they sell. It's all about eyeballs. I was in the business for a long time. And US news media is 96.6% garbage...It's only getting worse.

Last edited:

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I just got my first gig cancellation due to COV-19. More to come I'm sure...

PaulD

Reaction score
Anyone else here notice...the corona virus only caught traction in the US news once the Trump impeachment was over? The news media needs something to sell. It's all they do. And the more they can scare you, the more they sell. It's all about eyeballs. I was in the business for a long time. And US news media is 96.6% garbage...It's only getting worse.
ABC should be ashamed of themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.