Attachments

• camco..jpg
    camco..jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 75

Speedy Keen

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw him using probably, that set in the mid 80's up close. He was playing with Doug Sahm here in town at the Zoo Bar. He had the bottom rim and head off the 13
and the tremendous gouging in the bottom bearing edge was very visible. Small club, maybe 200 people there. I talked to him briefly and he was very nice.

cornelius

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For those — like me — who didn’t know about the new CCR documentary/performance released on Netflix earlier this month, here you go:
I just posted a link on the thread about Clifford's recent album release. Great movie

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That was an incredible snare. So his kit was obviously Camco(and sounded huge), but what about his cymbals? I heard at one point his hi-hats were 18s. They look/sound like Paistes to me but I'm not sure, sometimes I'm really off about this stuff.

Dan

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
That was an incredible snare. So his kit was obviously Camco(and sounded huge), but what about his cymbals? I heard at one point his hi-hats were 18s. They look/sound like Paistes to me but I'm not sure, sometimes I'm really off about this stuff.

Dan
He switched to Paiste 602s in 1969 (when he switched to Camco) and yes, they were 18" hats.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
He switched to Paiste 602s in 1969 (when he switched to Camco) and yes, they were 18" hats.
...and sometimes, I'm lucky and 100% on. Ha ha.

Geez, now I want that Luddy snare. Love that sound.

Dan

type85

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doug is Paiste's longest living endorser, He was using a mix of Giant beats and a 602 during that performance.

2 - 18" white label* Giant beats for hi hats, 18" white label Giant beat for his crash, and a 20" 602 medium ride on his right.
* "black label" Giant beats weren't produced until very late in '71 or early '72.

You can hear the classic Giant beat "B8 ring" from his 18" in the vid. You can also see the difference in the lathing and bell shape between the two cymbals in the picture below:

1664487238752.png

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
^ That could be, but I don't think that was his normal setup. My info came from an interview he gave Billy Jeansonne. Unfortunately, Doug didn't get any more specific.