header.nohb.html

Cosmo's Camcos

type85

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ That could be, but I don't think that was his normal setup. My info came from an interview he gave Billy Jeansonne. Unfortunately, Doug didn't get any more specific.
I'm sure it changed over time.
What I can't figure out is how he got a Paiste endorsement in 1969, unless you were a Ludwig endorser, access to Paistes in the U.S. was very limited.
Also, he was also never listed in any of the "Paiste profile" books.......

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it changed over time.
What I can't figure out is how he got a Paiste endorsement in 1969, unless you were a Ludwig endorser, access to Paistes in the U.S. was very limited.
Also, he was also never listed in any of the "Paiste profile" books.......
Big Dan! I’m guessing he wasn’t an official endorser back then. He just bought them and later became an endorser and Paiste references 1969 as the year he started using them. John Densmore was playing Paiste in the late 60s but was not an endorser. I don’t think Don Henley was either in the early days.

Just a theory…

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doug is Paiste's longest living endorser, He was using a mix of Giant beats and a 602 during that performance.

2 - 18" white label* Giant beats for hi hats, 18" white label Giant beat for his crash, and a 20" 602 medium ride on his right.
* "black label" Giant beats weren't produced until very late in '71 or early '72.

You can hear the classic Giant beat "B8 ring" from his 18" in the vid. You can also see the difference in the lathing and bell shape between the two cymbals in the picture below:

View attachment 585181

He’s been an endorser longer than Ian Paice or Nick Mason?

The crash you hear on “Heard It Through The Grapevine” and many other songs sounds like a 16.” I always assumed it was a Paiste 602. Did he use a 16” in his set up? Was the 16” a Zildjian?

type85

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big Dan! I’m guessing he wasn’t an official endorser back then. He just bought them and later became an endorser and Paiste references 1969 as the year he started using them. John Densmore was playing Paiste in the late 60s but was not an endorser. I don’t think Don Henley was either in the early days.

Just a theory…
Big JD! I always wondered about Densmore, there's a few videos (like Ed Sullivan) where it looks like he's playing 602's.......?
I knew Don Henley played 2002's in the Eagles, I'd have to look for old pics of him playing with Linda Ronstadt when he was in her backing band to see what he was playing.

Last edited:

type85

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s been an endorser longer than Ian Paice or Nick Mason?

The crash you hear on “Heard It Through The Grapevine” and many other songs sounds like a 16.” I always assumed it was a Paiste 602. Did he use a 16” in his set up? Was the 16” a Zildjian?
JD is making me work for this one! :lol:

I read an interview recently that Doug stated he was their longest endorser. I also contacted "speady1" about Doug (he knows him personaly), he offered to send him some of my questions about how he started using Paistes and what he was using back then (Doug is super busy with the release of his new album).
What I can't figure is how did he get them? He's from the bay area, if he was from L.A, then he would've gone to pro drum in Hollywierd and Bob Yeager would've hooked him up, Bob was a bigtime Ludwig/Paiste dealer (he was Bill Ludwig Jr's "consultant" on Paiste). If he was in NY, then maybe Manny's would have some? Maybe even EU Wurlitzer in Boston (JD!)?

As far as "Heard It Through The Grapevine”: that really sounds like a 602, is it a 16" or 18".....? it's hard to tell in the vid, what you can see is his hi hats and crash look like they are the same size.
The album was recorded in '69/'70, Ludwig didn't start to import GB's until about 1970 (they 1st. show up in Ludwig's 1971 catalog).
Giant beat usage: It could've been that since they were playing in London, Doug took a trip to Drum city and Ivor Arbiter sold him a few 18" white labels for thier European tour, maybe that's why he has the GB's for the Albert Hall gig.

But wait, there's more:
Ian Paice says he joined DP in 1968, but the Paiste profile doesn't say when he started playing them.

Nick mason says he started playing Paiste in 1970:

1664497795528.png

Last edited: