header.nohb.html

Cost of shipping 18/14/12 bop kit?

donbseattle

Reaction score
Suppose "some dude" sells a bop kit. 18/14/12 plus a tom mount with a pole and floor tom legs. Does he have a choice of USPS or UPS?
What is the best carrier to utilize? What should he charge the buyer for shipping? How much does it cost......roughly speaking? Thanks. PS I know SHIPPING drums is...a pain in the patootie!

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've found that at least where I live, Fed Ex is the best and the cheapest as long as you pre-pay your stuff on your online account and use a Fed Ex drop-off point.

Cost will vary depending on whether or not you've nested the kit, the sizes of your boxes, and how far it's going.

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
FedEx has had a bad run of trashing kits lately. I know of at least 3 kits that were absolutely trashed by them, with insurance on them. FedEx so far has refused to pay ANYTHING.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
FedEx has had a bad run of trashing kits lately. I know of at least 3 kits that were absolutely trashed by them, with insurance on them. FedEx so far has refused to pay ANYTHING.

I wish it were possible to get national numbers on this stuff. I've sent tons of drums via Fed Ex in the last year and the only time I had an issue it was because of the idiot who was receiving the drums.

donbseattle

Reaction score
I've found that at least where I live, Fed Ex is the best and the cheapest as long as you pre-pay your stuff on your online account and use a Fed Ex drop-off point.

Cost will vary depending on whether or not you've nested the kit, the sizes of your boxes, and how far it's going.
Thanks, Neal P!

donbseattle

Reaction score
I wish it were possible to get national numbers on this stuff. I've sent tons of drums via Fed Ex in the last year and the only time I had an issue it was because of the idiot who was receiving the drums.
Suppose I get the bass and rack nested and the floor tom and legs and tom holder in the other. Two boxes? West coast to Midwest!

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Greyhound has been very kind to my wallet in the past and gentle on the shipment as well.

So, how does Greyhound shipping work? Do you drop it off at a Greyhound bus terminal? And then they load them on the actual Greyhound buses? And then the recipient goes and picks it up at the station you've designated it to land at?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes you can use FedEx, UPS or USPS. I have free accounts for FedEx and UPS. Easy to get. I am not a business, just "some dude".

Nesting is a pain but you may be able to ship them all in one box that way. I had a 12-14-18 Gretsch kit that I nested into one 24 by 24 box and it was about 65 lb. Unfortunately, it was going to Switzerland and the shipping cost was ridiculously prohibitive so the deal fell through. I would think you could get it shipped for $100 throughout the US. I would definitely charge the buyer unless you sold it with shipping out of your own pocket. Once you have the box dimensions, you can go on to all three and get shipping quotes. FedEx ground and UPS ground are usually the cheapest of their services.

I've heard about the bus method but I've never tried it. Seems a little dicey to me......

squidart

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So, how does Greyhound shipping work? Do you drop it off at a Greyhound bus terminal? And then they load them on the actual Greyhound buses? And then the recipient goes and picks it up at the station you've designated it to land at?
Exactly! Paying online prior to dropping off saves a bunch as well. The boxes get minimal handling especially if it's a direct route with no transfers.

cribbon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Suppose I get the bass and rack nested and the floor tom and legs and tom holder in the other. Two boxes? West coast to Midwest!
If you remove the lugs from the two toms (and bag them separately, of course), you can get an entire 4-piece bop kit with tom post and legs into a single box. I bought a used Tama Silverstar bop kit (14x18,8x12,14x14,5x14) back in November, and that's what the shipper did and it worked fine.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
The Greyhound sounds appealing to me
(I looked into shipping two large office chairs- ended up not having to- but started to contact greyhound.

donbseattle

Reaction score
If you remove the lugs from the two toms (and bag them separately, of course), you can get an entire 4-piece bop kit with tom post and legs into a single box. I bought a used Tama Silverstar bop kit (14x18,8x12,14x14,5x14) back in November, and that's what the shipper did and it worked fine.
THANKS MAN!

GretschMan61

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have shipped an 18/12/14 from Toronto to Florida and also to California in the past . What I do was to remove all the hardware from all the shells and pack each shell in bubble wrap and fill the interior with packing paper and bubble wrap . It asked more effort to remove the hardware and pack it up . It is with the effort . Make sure you let the buyer know you are doing this . All the drums were nested in one box .

Jazzcrimes

Reaction score
I’m really shocked individuals (someone not using a corporate account) are shipping 3-4 piece bop kits for anywhere near $100. I’ve completely gotten out of this buy/sell kits game because shipping costs can be triple that based on how you pack and distance shipped. A 20” ride can easily cost $35 to ship - and you are shipping entire kits for $100? Fill me in on the secret.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Suppose "some dude" sells a bop kit. 18/14/12 plus a tom mount with a pole and floor tom legs. Does he have a choice of USPS or UPS?
What is the best carrier to utilize? What should he charge the buyer for shipping? How much does it cost......roughly speaking? Thanks. PS I know SHIPPING drums is...a pain in the patootie!

• Haha
Reactions: JDA

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score

I recently had the experience of hearing a loud thump against the exterior of my front door. When I went to see what it was, I found a small FedEx package on my front porch. Apparently, the driver threw the package at my door and drove off. When I checked to see what it was, it was addressed to my neighbor a block away.

JCW

Reaction score
I have one experience with Greyhound shipping. I bought a vintage 28x14 bass drum on Ebay, with the shipping listed as $50. After paying, the "Oh, I just now checked the shipping rates, and since the box is so large it's going to cost way more than $50" began. Having seen Greyhound recommended on here, I suggested to him that he look into it. He ended up using them, and actually ended up paying less than $50 (shipping from Michigan to Virginia).

After it shipped, while there is a tracking page, no actual tracking occurred until it showed up at the Greyhound station nearby, about 10 days later. I went to pick it up, and was led to the back of the station, where the box was in a huge pile of various things, including a car door wrapped in cardboard and tape. I looked around and found my box, which they let me take without checking anything. The box and the drum inside were fine, but Greyhound had seen fit to allow the shipper to attach a long message to the outside of the package telling me that I would burn in hell.

So, I can report that they at least got the drum to me relatively cheaply.

Skeet6

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The box and the drum inside were fine, but Greyhound had seen fit to allow the shipper to attach a long message to the outside of the package telling me that I would burn in hell.
Kinda funny in a way. I'd love to read it. What'd he say?
Mike B
PS: glad it worked out

JCW

Reaction score
It wasn't funny at all. The guy was a total ass--he acted like it was up to me to figure out how to get the drum shipped after I had paid him, and then, even after I reluctantly did his work for him, he attached what I considered to be a threat to the outside of the package. The subject matter of his page-long message isn't appropriate for discussion here. When I asked him what his problem was, he assured me that I didn't need to worry, because he attached the same message to the outside of every package he ships.