Cotton balls in floor toms

DrumWhipper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone else spread apart some cotton balls and place them in your floor toms to help with the tone of the drums? Kenny Sharrets suggested this to me a few months back, and it has absolutely been great for me. I used to use moongels on my floor toms, but it always took too much out. Now I run them open and allow the cotton balls to do the job.

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I did that years ago after my teacher suggested it. I use just a small gaff tent now but drums are usually wide open. If it works, cool.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use them, works great. I insert them via the vent hole with a pencil, small piece at a time until I get the effect I want. When you start playing, the balls come together and stick together.

I know Gavin Harrison uses an O-ring INSIDE the floor toms on the bottom head. Haven´t tried that yet.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I agree muffling the batter head often takes too much out; I like the overtones, but the fundmanetal can be too long. However, putting something inside takes a lot of time to undo.
Instead, I came up with a solution to muffle the reso from the outside by using a towel/piece of cloth clamped to two ft legs (or the bottom hoop), going across the reso head. It works similarly to a felt strip on a bass drum, shortening the overall decay. I use rather strong spring clamps used to secure glued parts etc. The tension/mass of the cloth determines the amount of muffling. Not that appealing visually, but hardly anyone looks at the ft bottom.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
I tried packing peanuts in a BD. It was so-so. I recall way back in HS the concert bass drum had balled-up newspaper inside. You couldn't see how much there was, but it went boom.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I tried packing peanuts in a BD. It was so-so. I recall way back in HS the concert bass drum had balled-up newspaper inside. You couldn't see how much there was, but it went boom.
I use shredded newspaper as that’s what I heard Bonham did.

Reactions: egw

Stickclick

Reaction score
I tried it once or twice but did not like it. If I put in too much cotton or paper then I have to open up the tom to remove stuff, then put the head back on. Now I just put tape or a rag on the drum head. That way I can change it easily.

Drm1979

Reaction score
I dont use any muffling in mine. Last year I took my old batter head, which was a 2 ply aquarian from like 15 years ago and replaced my reso with that. Then on batter I have an Evan's g2 coated. It sounds killer as the drum still sings but not too much. I find that the 2 ply on the bottom and top, when tuned right really controls the sustain. And if I want more or less sustain all I have to do is tweak the bottom head a little. This way I dont lose my tuning on the batter head. I did this on my rack tom as well. They are 13 and 16 so maybe being larger helps. Idk how this would sound on smaller sizes. I guess if you get your tuning right it would still work.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
Hmm ... I put a lot more in mine. May have been the problem.

Tracktuary

Reaction score
Add mass.

Hang your stick bag from the floor tom. If there is still too much sustain, lean your cymbal bag against it.

These are quick, adjustable, reversible, and free methods to try first.

tris66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I saw a vid where Benny Greb was talking about using tissue paper. That stuff is no longer easy to get, though. I cut a ring of thin bubble wrap for inside the bottom of a floor tom/ batter of the bass of my hill billy cocktail kit. Works.

Beefsurgeon

Reaction score
I use a Drumclip on the reso head of my floor tom. I haven't done a direct comparison with the cotton ball method, but it seems to work pretty well and is extremely easy to remove when it doesn't suit the musical situation.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Add mass.

Hang your stick bag from the floor tom. If there is still too much sustain, lean your cymbal bag against it.

These are quick, adjustable, reversible, and free methods to try first.
Good ideas. Another would be to inverse one of the ft legs (only works with a lower height).

SpinaDude

Reaction score
I use the Styrofoam peanuts in my 16" bass drum - sounds great to me.

View attachment 434015

View attachment 434016
I did this when I was playing as a kid. Put way too many in, but it was still an interesting sound. I wound up porting the drum and using a small towel against the batter head. I'd be interested to try these things again now with more patience and a better ear.

DrumWhipper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I run my kick drum wide open, just use the foam ring on the EMAD to get some slight muffling.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I thought you meant in the lugs....you actually mean inside the drum? Never done that or heard of that. The only thing I do, which is rare, is muffle the bass with an old bed sheet, or a rolled up towel, but rarely. I prefer the vintage open tone. I just got a 14x20 KB Ludwig and have a towel that barely touches the front/rear heads.....fat open tone!

Pibroch

Reaction score
Been using blue and pink cotton candy in equal proportion in both unported bass and toms. Throw in plenty of desiccant bags and seal all the air holes and you’re good for several months or until you change heads. Sometimes I throw a handful or two of peanuts into the mix just for the hell of it.

Last edited:

Latest posts