Could these be zildjians with out stamps?

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Judging from the golden chocolate patina they’re probably 50-60 yrs old they could very well be A’s or Zilco’s. I’ve see plenty no stampers. Sorry in advance for the 20 questions; What sizes?
Bell hole size?
Bell cup size?
Weights?
How do they sound?

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Judging from the golden chocolate patina they’re probably 50-60 yrs old they could very well be A’s or Zilco’s. I’ve see plenty no stampers. Sorry in advance for the 20 questions; What sizes?
Bell hole size?
Bell cup size?
Weights?
How do they sound?
You are starting to sound like me. :glasses8:

Judging by the lathing style on the bow and the bell those are mid to late 1950s A Zildjian, possibly older. If the mounting holes are a little smaller than the modern 1/2" then that demonstrates their age. If the mounting hole is the modern 1/2" diameter that doesn't add much quality information because they could be 1958ish or the hole was enlarged later. See:

Instead of getting out your measuring tape, an easy way to test the hole size is to try and fit a 1/2" drill bit into it. Another way is to nest the cymbal you are testing against one which is modern. The hole size difference is easy to pick that way.

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
I have a couple 50's A's (which I will 4th or 5th the motion that those are) where the stamps can only be seen by the light of the last full winter's moon, when rubbed with the ash of a saint and the blood of a sinner, and I've been smoking synthetic peyote for a couple days.

Maybe the stamping guy had a pounding headache that day, and just 1/16th-assed it?

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Based on my data collection there are a few with two stamps, a few with no stamp, but the average is very much 1 per cymbal. That's based on a sample of 2,700 so far, but most are based on photos rather than close examination while using mescaline. :glasses8:

Still, the ones with two stamps are worth watching out for. Interesting things appear. This one is now in the hands of a fellow researcher Cliff. Trans Stamp (T3) plus a Zilco Constantinople. Helps to pin down the years that version of the Zilco trademark was in use (versus the Zilco TM version).

22-2721-stamp.jpg

retrosonic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Many years ago, when I was a young, energentic drummer, Mannys Music on 48th street would sell Zildjian "seconds", but with the Mannys stamp instead of the Zildjian stamp.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Yes I've got pics of the MANNY'S stamp as well as images of the whole cymbals

mannys-stamp.png

as well as seconds with just the S

12-535-stamp.jpg

as well as ink stamps from Modern Drum Shop.

mod-drum-shop-ink2.jpg

All coming to the Avedis Ziljdian section of Cymbal Wiki. If anybody has other Drum Shop stamps (ink or whatever) to contribute let me know.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have had a few cymbals that I thought had no stamp, and every time I eventually found a super faint stamp.