Couldn't wait to play along and then...

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like to jam to music on my pad, while working on rudiments and technique. there are plenty I'll play to that I know I can't handle on a full kit. Sometimes I try one, a track I really love, but when I get behind the kit it just doesn't connect for me and I find myself bored to death playing it.

This happened to me twice recently. With Metallica's For Whom the Bell Tolls and Godsmack's The Enemy. They just left me cold. I was very disappointed.

How about you guys? Is there a song, or songs, you couldn't wait to play along to and then once you did you were pretty much over it?

Stickclick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have my favorite songs but I can only play them two or three times and then I get bored.

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
I like to jam to music on my pad, while working on rudiments and technique. there are plenty I'll play to that I know I can't handle on a full kit. Sometimes I try one, a track I really love, but when I get behind the kit it just doesn't connect for me and I find myself bored to death playing it.

This happened to me twice recently. With Metallica's For Whom the Bell Tolls and Godsmack's The Enemy. They just left me cold. I was very disappointed.

How about you guys? Is there a song, or songs, you couldn't wait to play along to and then once you did you were pretty much over it?
Steely Dan. Always something new to learn. Numerous amazing drummers to learn from. The groove never gets old. All great songs.

PS: Some of Steely Dan drummers include: Jeff Porcaro, Bernard Purdie, Rick Marotta, Steve Gadd, Paul Humphrey, Ed Green, Kieth Carlock, Vinnie Colaiuta, Sonny Emory, Ricky Lawson, and more.

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
smoke a doobie .....
... or salmon.
Loves me an Everything Bagel with lox, capers, red onion, tomato, lettuce, and my own seasoned cream cheese.
Wanna get inspired?
That'll move ya.

To answer the OP ...
Heck yes. It has happened to me way too many times to count.
I agree with the Steely Dan comment. Lots of fun stuff to explore there.
As much as I love listening to Van, a lot of his songs are not "fun" to play. But that's a "me" thing.
I used to love playing to certain things (Beatles, Kinks, Zep, etc) ... but they don't move me behind the kit these days.
Not entirely sure why. I continue to change my approach and my setup to keep it fresh and challenging. But where it helps me as a creative drummer, I think it might hinder my connection to older stuff that I played in my younger years.
I am in a slump right now as far as finding music to practice with. I haven't located anything "new to me" that inspires me. But that's really part of the dance, isn't it.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I used to fill in with a local group , I always got as high as I could to make it through the gig. YUKK ..
Last time I played with them I stayed sober ,bandleader messaged saying next time I want the old Jeff back please .
Not saying I played better high, this guy is an idiot and on the gig he referred to; the bassist got very drunk on it .
I told him don't bother calling me anymore .
Nowadays i'm playing for an original artist with a few covers , it's been a bit of a stylistic change and i've really grown to love it .
Anymore ,unless i'm learning a new song .I just put on my headphones and jam to nothing but a click .
I am enjoying that a lot ....

I will also add that I have taken lessons from 2 teachers in the last 3 years and their has been a few sticks thrown in total frustration .
But I'm starting to see the payoff ,so just dig into something new possibly ...Go take lessons ...

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm definitely not a lessons guy...but the finding something new is a strong point.

I know next to nothing about Steely Dan (other than their old 70's commercials which would run during Flintstones afternoon reruns), but I will definitely check them out.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm definitely not a lessons guy...but the finding something new is a strong point.

I know next to nothing about Steely Dan (other than their old 70's commercials which would run during Flintstones afternoon reruns), but I will definitely check them out.
How do you know you aren’t a lessons guy ?

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
LOL I used to take them, years and years ago. So it's not fair for me to evaluate my feelings about it based on that. And please don;t take it in a way that I feel no one has anything of value to teach me, because believe me I could use the education. But to have assignments to work on, to me it would feel like maintenance and school work. It may sound childish, but in the end, I don't think I'd feel all that comfortable with it. I think I'd have to find just the right teacher for it to have an impact on me and so that I didn't feel like I was wasting the teacher's time.

KevinD

Reaction score

WOW! Are you referring to he Aja commercials, with the Japanese woman by a lake or something? Your post just jarred my memory, they used to run on local TV here in the NY area in the afternoons...I always found that kind of odd that a major record co would advertise amongst all the K Tel Records, and Popeil Pocket fisherman commercials..

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
If I know the song well (in terms of playing it well), it will bore me. Then their are the songs that take forever to learn when they are very technical, Those songs can keep me inside them for a long time. Try playing some Rush or The Police!

Last edited:

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
WOW! Are you referring to he Aja commercials, with the Japanese woman by a lake or something? Your post just jarred my memory, they used to run on local TV here in the NY area in the afternoons...I always found that kind of odd that a major record co would advertise amongst all the K Tel Records, and Popeil Pocket fisherman commercials..
Yes! That was the commercial. It ran a gajillion times. LOL

Stickclick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It happened to me today. I was playing along with some Comet recordings but couldn't get satisfied. Then I found some Twisted Sister that I liked. I feel better now.

Latest posts