Counts

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know why I'm thinking about this actually but counts, standard 4 count and other variations.

I always did a two count, do you really need more? With the exception of odd timing starts, what's the point?

There is a Bonzo bass demo of Fool out there and he sounds stoned but it has this really long windup. Some Youtube drum guys do that also - "a-one and a-two-ah" then start over - "and a-one two three four". What's the point of over-elaborating that? Is it some kind of odd showmanship? I get a little impatient with that stuff, it seems really redundant. Just show me the money, cut the fluff out.

drumstuff66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I give 4 as well, usually with stick clicks. IMO, there is nothing worse than a band missing the intro - even if one instrument comes in a millisecond late it drives me nuts. Just comes off as amateur open jam stuff. A straight 4 count can't really be argued with, IMO...

Having said that, if you let it be known that your count ins will be 2, not 4, then it's on them to pay attention & keep up.

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I give 4 as well, usually with stick clicks. IMO, there is nothing worse than a band missing the intro - even if one instrument comes in late it drives me nuts. Just comes off as amateur open jam stuff. A straight 4 count can't really be argued with, IMO...

Having said that, if you let it be known that your count ins will be 2, not 4, then it's on them to pay attention & keep up.
I never recall having an issue ever starting with a 2 count, everyone in the band was in tune with it.

AC/DC's Bad Boy Boogie starts on a two count I noticed but Whole Lotta Rosie is a 5 for the cadence I'm sure.

KevinD

Reaction score
If you are talking about counting into a tune, I think a 4 count is better for establishing the tempo... especially if it is a new tune, or you're playing with musicians you are not familiar with... sometimes I actually prefer two bars i.e "One-Two- One-Two-Three-Four."
On a gig... if it has been rehearsed you can prob get away with 1-2...
No hard & fast rules... whatever works.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a band leader only want stick clicks, but the. The keyboard player would yell put the count on some tunes.

Makes me realize how much not playing with that dysfunctional group has helped with my mental health to a degree!

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Four with stick clicks. Always.

dyland

Reaction score
Four count for me. For faster tempos I do the two bar count in, half time to full.

I also try to count tunes in with the same vibe that I play them. I audiate the intro and count along to that. For a fast punk song it'll be four sharp stick clicks but a shuffled ballad may be four behind-the-beat, "lazy" clicks. Accentuating the subdivision vocally can be a way of counting in swung time vs. straight time. This makes the difference between a tune feeling good from the jump and taking a few bars to settle in.

Vicey

Reaction score
I had a jazz band leader who threatened grievous bodily harm if anyone ever set a tempo by clicking sticks. I guess I internalized that and I always count verbally. Usually two full measures: 1 2 1234.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I did find it strange on the recording “Turn it On Again” by Genesis, Phil counted four on a song played in 13/8 time.

Of course I think of the time I was in a Strip Club and talking to a dancer, that song came on. I told her to get ready to laugh. This girl admitted they never played that song before. The dancers were lost on the 13/8 time! It was epically HORRIBLE!!! Bwahahahaha!!!!!

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a jazz band leader who threatened grievous bodily harm if anyone ever set a tempo by clicking sticks. I guess I internalized that and I always count verbally. Usually two full measures: 1 2 1234.
He and my former band leader would have made a great couple LOL

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
"2 & 4 finger snaps or you ain't Miles Davis"

Last edited:

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Don't know why I'm thinking about this actually but counts, standard 4 count and other variations.

I always did a two count, do you really need more? With the exception of odd timing starts, what's the point?

There is a Bonzo bass demo of Fool out there and he sounds stoned but it has this really long windup. Some Youtube drum guys do that also - "a-one and a-two-ah" then start over - "and a-one two three four". What's the point of over-elaborating that? Is it some kind of odd showmanship? I get a little impatient with that stuff, it seems really redundant. Just show me the money, cut the fluff out.
Typically, you should count off 2 measures in the time signature of the song to set the tempo for the band. The first measure is typically counted off in half notes and the second measure in quarters e.g. 1, 2, 1-2-3-4. If there’s a pickup going into 1, then you would count off the beats to the pickup. For example, if the pickup starts on 3 you would count off 6 beats e.g. 1-2-3-4-1-2.