Counts

Pibroch

Reaction score
If a 4/4 tune has a melody based on eighth notes I count 1 2 1234 to save confusion. The 1 2 is the tempo of the 1/4 notes and the 1234 that of the eighth notes.

(Once a band leader counted in 1234 to one such song and I started playing twice as fast as everyone else, assuming 1/4 notes were being represented. Very embarrassing.)

Pibroch

Reaction score
It goes 3,4,1....then you stop and explain the exact value of the pick up to your guitarist :confused3:
I once had a guitarist who couldn’t follow such a count in and banned me from doing it. Said I had to count in 1234 for everything because he couldn’t “handle numbers” FFS !

He also instructed everyone except me to stop counting to themselves during tunes because “if you count you end up making mistakes”. He insisted the drummer count, though, in order to cue in all the other players.

Last edited:

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I once had a guitarist who couldn’t follow such a count in and banned me from doing it. Said I had to count in 1234 for everything because he couldn’t “handle numbers” FFS !

He also instructed everyone except me to stop counting to themselves during tunes because “if you count you end up making mistakes”. He insisted the drummer count, though, in order to cue in all the other players.
I hope he wasn't the one paying the band after gigs...

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's always a guitarist.... Always.