Covering Kit & Percussion Simultaneously

jskdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm curious how you guys / gals approach playing songs that require both Drum Kit & Perscussion Parts that interact & need to be played in tandem. As in you play double duty & cover both parts. Example..play Santana Black Magic Woman as the only drummer/percussionist handling both roles.

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I do this a lot when I play in the pit for musicals. You have to stack what you can, cut out what you can’t do, basically make a new part combining pieces of each score.

What are the dominant elements that come out when you listen to the song? Use those as your basis. Make a drum beat that captures those elements while keeping the overall feel of the song.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
For me using elements of both, faking it in places to hopefully achieve the right effect.
On that tune I have a cowbell near the hats and ride them: bell 1-2-3-4 while playing hats on the &'s.
Cross stick on snare 2, 1st tom on 4 & during the verses. (you could play 1-2-3 snare, tom on 4 &)
In the solo you can ride the bell of a cymbal while the snare is on 2 and tom 4 &, not straight 8ths, trying to get what is on the record, I'm faking it there too.
In that fast outro I'm doing 4 on the floor, riding the hats and doing 2 & 4 on the snare with my right hand, left hand plays (1) UH on rack and (2) AND on floor tom, (3) UH rack (4) AND floor tom. Accenting the ANDs of 1 and 3 in the hat flow gives it the feel. Then, I'm also opening the hats 1 to 1&, then opening on the ANDS disco style as it builds. Keeps you busy!
FAKING IT A BUNCH BUT IT WORKS WITH MY BAND.

Last edited:

Dave HCV

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Walfredo Reyes, Jr. has a whole video out on this subject. Getting it to his level requires an exceptional amount of coordination, as well as the right equipment arrangement.

I'm in the same boat with respect to playing a few Santana numbers and a big part of it early on was sorting out how to integrate cowbells, blocks, timbales, etc. into my kit in locations such that I could get to everything smoothly when needed.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
One approach I've done in the past was to play hand drums with one hand and timbales/cymbals/cowbell with a stick in the other. Lately I leave out the hand drums, throw the snare wires off and have the rack tom and snare tuned in fourths, play the conga parts with those.

avedisschwinn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Enrique "Bugs" Gonzales does a great job of this with Los Lobos. He uses electronic pads next to his hi hats for conga sounds (etc) and a cowbell or two above his floor tom. He is really good at keeping a rocking drum set groove, and overlaying a percussion groove.

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Walfredo Reyes, Jr. has a whole video out on this subject. Getting it to his level requires an exceptional amount of coordination, as well as the right equipment arrangement.

I'm in the same boat with respect to playing a few Santana numbers and a big part of it early on was sorting out how to integrate cowbells, blocks, timbales, etc. into my kit in locations such that I could get to everything smoothly when needed.
i saw walredo reyes, jr. do his combo thing live a couple of times - very impressive.

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Been learning to kick woodblock or cowbell on the clave with one foot. At my age, this sort of thing is basically old-dog-new-trick territory.

bernard

Reaction score
One approach I've done in the past was to play hand drums with one hand and timbales/cymbals/cowbell with a stick in the other. Lately I leave out the hand drums, throw the snare wires off and have the rack tom and snare tuned in fourths, play the conga parts with those.
Agreed. Snares off and a shaker in one hand gets you a long way. In some cases, like some Motown tunes, I'd play a tambourine with one hand and let the left foot take care of the hihat.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
We have a singer who plays harmonica and he's quite happy to fill in percussion when he's not playing the harp. My last band we had a singer who didn't play any instruments and I delegated some conga and other percussion parts to her. She was kinda iffy in the beginning but learned quickly and enjoyed it. Delegating is my preferred method, but I've also been known to use some of the cheats mentioned above.

Latest posts