Covid!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Well, as careful as I have been since this pandemic started (yes, I'm one of those people who has stayed in, taken every precaution, etc..), I just recovered from Covid. It started as a mild fever and fatigue on January 18th, and progressed to 17 straight days of high fevers, intense aches, nausea, coughing, shortness of breath, loss of taste and smell. I am finally feeling better this weekend. It was no joke and I narrowly avoided the hospital (in fact, I probably SHOULD have gone). All that's left is the coughing and loss of sense of smell. I mean, it's completely gone. Oddly enough, I'm starting to be able top taste some things again. So, be careful everyone - this is not yet over.

fatchoppers

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
glad your ok
I have an appoint for the shot but im still on the fence

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife, daughter, and myself had it in December. We had very mild cases, thankfully. The strangest part was 100% loss of smell. My wife and I couldn't even catch a faint hint of the strongest smells you could imagine. Kind of dangerous if you think about it. Unable to smell natural gas, spoiled food, smoke. Took a while to come back, and I'm not sure it's fully back yet.

fatchoppers

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My wife, daughter, and myself had it in December. We had very mild cases, thankfully. The strangest part was 100% loss of smell. My wife and I couldn't even catch a faint hint of the strongest smells you could imagine. Kind of dangerous if you think about it. Unable to smell natural gas, spoiled food, smoke. Took a while to come back, and I'm not sure it's fully back yet.
messed up for sure

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
I tested positive on Oct 8th for it. Battled it at home for 3 weeks. Wheezing never went away though. Got real bad in December. Several Urgent Care visits, ER visits, Doctor visits and I finally had to call an ambulance on Christmas Eve morning. Stayed in the hospital for three days. I now have asthma of which I never had. Breathing treatments and inhalers are the norm for me now. All kinda stuff still going on. Sure beats the alternative though. Hope everyone stays free of it and heals quickly if the happen to contract it. It can be real ugly.

Mike

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Look, guys and gals -

I am 77, now flat on my back for 6 -8 weeks from a bad fall while hiking ..... also on Jan 18 - Happy MLK day to you too, MrDrums2112! And godspeed with your recovery!!!!

Social distancing ..... no problem, never was. Except for 2 days in the ER and a 4 day stay in the hospital watching moon-suited people pushing gurneys past my door .........

I've been trying everything to get that shot and getting nothing but pushback. But I'll get it ........ !!

Get the shot! Please, for the sake of others if not for yourself! You will be fine, no matter what crackpot theories you might have heard - talkin' to fatchoppers here! Or send it to me .....

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, as careful as I have been since this pandemic started (yes, I'm one of those people who has stayed in, taken every precaution, etc..), I just recovered from Covid. It started as a mild fever and fatigue on January 18th, and progressed to 17 straight days of high fevers, intense aches, nausea, coughing, shortness of breath, loss of taste and smell. I am finally feeling better this weekend. It was no joke and I narrowly avoided the hospital (in fact, I probably SHOULD have gone). All that's left is the coughing and loss of sense of smell. I mean, it's completely gone. Oddly enough, I'm starting to be able top taste some things again. So, be careful everyone - this is not yet over.
Sorry to hear you were sick. Glad to hear you are recovering.

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
To OP and the others that have survived and/or still struggling - best of luck. I'm glad you are all still with us.

I'm 66 - got my 1st shot on Wed. (Anne got hers yesterday) - dose 2 will be on 3/2 (Moderna). We both had sore arms - I had couple of days being pretty fatigued (Anne less so, so far). We both had Moderna - Neither of us cared which (I have no desire to pretend I'm epidemiologist as the result of having read some articles on the subject - so scientific consensus says "no discernible difference" so I was fine either way.

Lots of folks (that far from all) warns that dose #2 can pack quite the wallop - so we're planning accordingly (staggering our shots). A nurse friend of ours got slammed with dose #2 - and as she put it "Well great - at least I know my immune system is really working". She was fine in 36 hours.

Anyway - our kids can't wait to get theirs - we just want to get everyone safe - and that will go better if everyone plays along (basic vaccination science - you know, why we don't worry about out kids and grandkids getting polio - like our parents and grandparents had to worry about).

Anyway - while moving forward with shots - we've also started double masking when out and about as the new variants are spreading rapidly - at least, here in CA.

So stay safe everyone - and wishing for a quick recovery to everyone struggling with it.

jakeo

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't worried about that acid I took back in the day - or the Twinkies I ate yesterday. It's hilarious that old boomers ( like me) are worried about side effects - considering the illegal drugs at least some of us took and now all the legal meds we're all on now.

One day of flu like symptoms vs the variety of ills from covid - I'll take my chances with the shots.

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sorry for your situation. Mine and my family’s and 99% of the people I know that had it and complete opposite. Little to no symptoms but a lot of positive test and this includes relatives in 80s and even a 91 year old and in very poor health tested positive not once but twice and no symptoms.

Whitten

Reaction score
Anyway - our kids can't wait to get theirs - we just want to get everyone safe - and that will go better if everyone plays along (basic vaccination science - you know, why we don't worry about out kids and grandkids getting polio - like our parents and grandparents had to worry about).
Yep.
Just FWIW, my partner is an ICU nurse. An old hand, been doing it for 30+ years. The UK has pretty much the worst death rate on the planet. She has been on the frontline for nearly a year now. In stifling rooms, wearing a full hazmat suit, tight uncomfortable masks. Can't go to the toilet as then they have to throw away all the PPE and start again. Two 15 to 30 minute breaks in a 13 hour day. She has to shower the minute she gets home. We're sleeping separately.
There was a brief respite of about two months over the Summer, but ICU is generally busy (other accidents and operations).
Most of them are low paid.
I see people breaking the lockdown rules, or pushing the boundaries all the time. It makes me angry, and I have confronted some.
My partner has seen many ordinary people come into the ICU, the average age is about 56. A couple of weeks later they wheel them out dead.
The terrible thing about Covid is you are otherwise fit. So people having difficulty breathing come into ICU, are thinking and talking normally. FaceTiming their family multiple times a day. Then in the space of an afternoon they just crash and die.
Musicwise, all my live shows were cancelled last year, the vast majority of my income. This year looks to be much the same. The majority of musicians and crew are looking at two years of very low or no pay, with little govt support.
So, please take care, socially distance, and get the vaccine.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not able to get any vaccine here, although we are both over 65. Clinics exist, but online it says no appointments are available. And that’s for a 200 mile in-state radius. I’m eager for a vaccination if they are ever available. Until then, I’m playing the recluse.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
At 69 I'm eligible to sign up for the shot in NH but have not as yet. Partly due to the insane rigmarole required to get through and partly because I have a very strong immune system and always have. I have almost had one cold in the 2 1/2 years since I moved up here but it didn't quite take hold. I have not had the flu since I was a kid in the early 60's.
If this were a "real" virus containing vaccine I would be more inclined to take it but this mRNA thing is all made up of various chemical poisons. It has ethylene glycol in it... anti-freeze!
I'm holding off for now for more observation. We're not in the thick of it by any means.

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ve gotten both my Pfizer shots with little issues. I work with some guys who had Covid early last year, and they said the 2nd shot really kicked their butt.

The sooner folks get vaccinated, the sooner we can all get back to playing drums in front of people!

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you were sick. I had it back in December, thought it was my yearly head/chest cold I get this time each year. Never had a fever, cough, etc. Thought I bounced back after three days but then lost the taste/smell on the fourth day. Took a few weeks for that to resolve itself. I’m asthmatic but it didn’t affect my breathing.

It made its way through the family, my wife had the same symptoms as me just 2-3 days behind me. Our 10 year old daughter spiked a fever one night but was back to normal within a few days. Our 13 year old son probably had too it but doesn’t complain much when he doesn’t feel well. Anyway, onwards & upwards!

Whitten

Reaction score
but this mRNA thing is all made up of various chemical poisons. It has ethylene glycol in it... anti-freeze!
Please don't spread anti-vaccine misinformation.
Also many fit, healthy elite athletes have caught Covid, albeit not died. But younger people have died. According to a year's worth of global data the biggest death related risk factor is age, and at 69 you are very much in an at risk category, whatever you assume about your immune system.

Status
Not open for further replies.