header.nohb.html

Crack or scratch/casting

Yamahadrummer

Reaction score
I just purchased a K Complex Dark ride, the cymbal sounds great and that's all that could matter, but there are some lines near the edges that look similar to cracks. They don't go through the edge or bottom of the cymbal, and being that the top is unlatched on these it could just be from the casting process. What do you guys think?

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you buy it new? If so, I would get an exchange. That does look like something that could turn into a problem to me...but I'm no expert about metalworking. Perhaps @Cymbalpaul or @mbettis could give their insight?

Yamahadrummer

Reaction score
Did you buy it new? If so, I would get an exchange. That does look like something that could turn into a problem to me...but I'm no expert about metalworking. Perhaps @Cymbalpaul or @mbettis could give their insight?
It was used from guitar center, so I have 45 days to make a decision. I have a Crash of doom that is brand new and has something that looked similar on the bow.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The expert has spoken, but is it also on the other side? If you put a flashlight underneath it, does the light shine through?

Esotericdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I once ended up buying a forum member a new 22 Renaissance because the Ren I sent him in a trade had 2 similar looking marks but even smaller. Same thing neither went through to the other side.

Lost my butt big time. I thought it was a casting flaw as well, but to uphold the value of community here on DFO I made sure he was happy

I’d be curious to hear what you think of these marking @mbettis ? They were small, probably less than an 1/8 of an inch
D33D42C6-A9C3-4CBF-9B56-242D3C4BDCFA.jpeg
6E938E41-39A5-440B-ABCD-73DA1E6E43BF.jpeg
7EBB6A6D-EA91-4099-9F36-A943509A0377.jpeg

Last edited:

TPC

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I once ended up buying a forum member a new 22 Renaissance because the Ren I sent him in a trade had 2 similar looking marks but even smaller. Same thing neither went through to the other side.

Lost my butt big time. I thought it was a casting flaw as well, but to uphold the value of community here on DFO I made sure he was happy
Also casting flaws if you ask me. Hey, if they turn into little cracks break out the Dremel, carve out a tiny piece, and play the ********* thing. Holy cow, you’re a better man than I.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Why bother and go through all that anxiety? Just give it back to GC and find another.

Sure, it might never crack or get worse. Then again, it just might. Casting flaws are just that....flaws. And they make a cymbal worth less than one w/o the same flaws.

mbettis

Reaction score

I’d be curious to hear what you think of these marking @mbettis ? They were small, probably less than an 1/8 of an inch
View attachment 595310 View attachment 595311 View attachment 595312
Those look OK to as well, but a little harder to tell with the lathing.

Thanks,
Matt

mbettis

Reaction score
...Casting flaws are just that....flaws....
I hear what you're saying. However, nearly every cymbal blank comes with flaws like that, even from the modern foundries like Zildjian and Sabian. The end user doesn't see most of them, because they usually get removed in the lathing process.

Thanks,
Matt

mattr

Reaction score
I hear what you're saying. However, nearly every cymbal blank comes with flaws like that, even from the modern foundries like Zildjian and Sabian. The end user doesn't see most of them, because they usually get removed in the lathing process.

Thanks,
Matt
It’s a very minor roll mark… oxides break off or general debris is abound and then get smooshed into surface when rolled, making marks like that. The rolling area of a cymbal factory isn’t surgically clean…