Crackalackin’ snare trick

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I hadn’t tried tensioning the snare side way down and bringing the batter up to where it almost choked out, until today. The throwoff tension was way down to where it would be sloppy and rattling on a normally tensioned snare side head. With the bottom head slack like that, the wires are still in good contact with the head and nothing gets lost when playing.

The result surprised me. I previously got cracking snare sound by cranking up the batter and bottom head. However, this is even more cracking than anything I’ve tried before. It made me think maybe this is how some of the old funkmasters did it back in the day. My snare sounds like it could be on a James Brown record.

I don’t know that this will work for every snare but it sure did on mine.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Interesting- lately I have been tuning my snare side head quite low as well. I’ll experiment with the batter head now.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same. In the past year I've taken my snare side heads lower than I would normally have them and I really like the results. For me, it has more body and still has a crack to it.

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Helps if you got a Diplomat. I have a snare tuned probably similarly. The snare sound is slightly more mellow too, and note definition is extreme. Rim shot Crack is crack-a-lackin' at the center, like a bell closer to the edge, note definition is extreme and brushes are wonderfully loud and sure.

Short video just really to show the head pitches. Will try again later to make a fuller demo of it

Trey Gray

Pro
Reaction score
Very cool!

In the mid 90's(!) I was playing with a country artist, Faith Hill, and we did a barn party in Nashville with Larry Carlton. Larry played first. The drums were setup on the second level in the opening where they would normally throw hay out of...basically if you were standing outside you could see the back of the drums....

When I got there they were still playing and I couldn't believe how great the snare sounded, I couldn't really tell what it was or who it was from that angle.

The drummer turned out to be the ever so awesome Shannon Forrest. He had just gotten all his hair cut off so I didn't recognize him. After the set I asked him what snare he was using. A 6 1/2 supraphonic with 42 strand snares. Pretty typical with the exception of his snare throw tension.

He told me to feel the snares underneath. They were incredibly loose. In fact when you hit the drum by itself it almost sounded sloppy. But when playing in the band it was perfect. Poppy, full bodied, just really right to my ears.

Your video and post reminded me of this aha moment for me! Thanks for posting, sounds great! And I especially love that you have an older head on it and it's not some "fancy" snare...kudos!!!

Cheers and blessings, Trey

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Helps if you got a Diplomat. I have a snare tuned probably similarly. The snare sound is slightly more mellow too, and note definition is extreme. Rim shot Crack is crack-a-lackin' at the center, like a bell closer to the edge, note definition is extreme and brushes are wonderfully loud and sure.

Short video just really to show the head pitches. Will try again later to make a fuller demo of it
Diplomat batter or snare side?

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Be careful on the snare side tensioning Ambassador and Diplomat snare heads can pull out pretty easily. They are extremely thin.

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regular snare side 3 mil, Diplomat batter.
I have two nearly identical snare drums like that. The eight lug one I got set up more usual with tighter snare side and medium tensioned Ambassador on the batter. Will try to make a side by side demo.

Barden

Reaction score

It cracks me up when we talk about high, medium, and low without being able to listen to our own examples. Your head pitches and snare sound are almost exactly how I have most of my snares tuned. And yes, there is a lot of body in the drum tuned that way. Thanks for the video. Sounds great.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wait, whatever the Ambassador snare side is, 3 isn't it?
It’s 3 mil. Diplomat snare side is 2. Just be careful with aggressive tightening on these heads. The glue will hold the film in the hoop, but the film may not hold up under the shell edge pressure.