Cracked Cymbal

Stickclick

Reaction score
I love the look of the greatly damaged cymbal the Dan Magnusson uses in this video.
Check 7:06 and 12:04. How can I make a cymbal look like that? Do I just hit it with a hammer against a rock until the metal cracks?

REF

Reaction score
Cymbals don't tend top crack with any certain directional path, unless it starts in a groove and works along that groove, maybe jumping to another depending on metal fatigue.

You can break off pieces once a crack starts. Bronze is not a very tough metal. You can use some hefty pliers and do it.

You could beat a cymbal to death and never crack it. It just has to do with vibration and weaknesses from the original process. Sometimes you can strike a cymbal for just a week in normal play and all of sudden hear the sizzle of a crack somewhere.

That cymbal in the video is a wreck of being used after cracks develop and they just keep going along the grooves and sooner or later cracks off the edge meet and a chunk falls off.

If you want to make a destroyed cymbal (I can't believe I'm about to type this), take a hack saw and just start a few strokes from the edge in a few places. Cracks will develop if you play it. Maybe. You never know.

You can beat one with a ball peen hammer or any hammer, against a rock but, you will not control where a crack develops. Do you really want to wreck a cymbal that may turn out quite different than you want?

Latest posts