Craigs list rogers mardi gras

parkermike

Reaction score
I just got a text from him. He said they were tentatively sold. If anything falls through he'll let me know. Oddly anyone going to look at this set will have a pocketful of cash. Tentatively sold. Odd.

Jazzhead

Reaction score
Yes, the seller texted me 15 minutes ago saying the drums are tentatively sold, didn’t ask the price obviously.

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Here is where someone aggravated about missing out on the deal calls the seller completely filling him/her in on what the drums are and the true value. Which in turn, screws the fellow drummer that was completely pumped about the "score" they thought they were getting.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If the seller finds out what their drums are worth before they actually sell them....so be it. Shouldn't even matter "how" or "when" they find out. I always get a chuckle when an original owner is selling for peanuts, gets a dozen phone calls in the first few hours, then pulls the item to do some more research....and logically raises the price considerably. And this is considered "screwing" those who didn't get their fair chance to rip the seller before they knew what they had.

Last edited:

Gunnellett

Reaction score
I'm talking about someone who sees an add and tries to buy at the advertised price but is missing out on the deal because someone else beat them to the punch and are on their way or set up a time to pick up. The person missing out all of a sudden gains a conscience and is more than happy to fill the seller in on all of the details and offer advice on what the seller should do (including maybe selling it to the guy on the phone with all of the info for just a pinch more money) but moments earlier that same person was all about snagging the deal. It happens. That is a special kind of person.

I'm not talking about people who are always on the lookout for others and if they see what appears to be a seller needing a helping hand with being educated on what they have, they reach out and help. That is cool. That is also a special kind of person.

There is a very clear distinction between the motives of the two types of people and scenarios above.

It also makes complete sense for someone putting up an add immediately getting all kinds of inquiries about the add to go ahead and research what they have and potentially reevaluate their asking price and/or venue of selling.

parkermike

Reaction score
Who knows what is really going on, it sure isnt me! I would love to go see them, talk to the owner and try to find out everything I could about them. Who was the original owner? Was he a professional? Why did he pick that particular color?
yes I'm bummed I didn't get them, but did i really need them? No, I already have plenty. I just wish whoever ends up with them brings them back to life for someone else to enjoy for another 60 years.
I hope they have found a caring home.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
So somebody from Florida bought a set in Cleveland which the seller was not going to ship????

Either someone pulled off an epic road trip or something is wrong here.....

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So somebody from Florida bought a set in Cleveland which the seller was not going to ship????

Either someone pulled off an epic road trip or something is wrong here.....
There might have been a buyer in Cleveland who immediately began trying to find a buyer elsewhere expecting to make a profit. It'd probably count on the original seller not raising his price once he realized how much interest there was

JDZ

Asst. Manager, rhythm section
Reaction score
All I know is I called the guy at 9AM and 1 pm and left mesages yesterday and never got a call back. The set is 1 left turn and 10 min away from my house. Not meant to be, I guess.

Dave

parkermike

Reaction score
Just struck me odd that the seller told me he had a "pending" sale. He said he would not ship, so if someone local came in, wouldn't he have cash in hand and buy it on the spot? Done deal!

Rotarded

Reaction score
I stated the new owner was in Florida, as told me by one of the most credible Rogers collectors out there. I did not state that the seller shipped. Many of us have drummer connections/family all over. Often willing to pick-up and ship for us.
If I had seen this earlier, I would have called my twin brother in Cleveland and sent him to land it for me even though I am 2 hours away.

Jazzhead

Reaction score
So I was actually impressed by how quick the seller responded to my text message. I texted him at 10am yesterday asking if the kit was available and if he would ship. He said there were some people ahead of me yesterday and also some today and since there are a lot of interest locally he won’t need to ship it. He then texted me (without me following up) at 5pm yesterday saying the drums were sold tentatively. I haven’t followed up to see if they were sold or where they went. The Florida thing was mentioned by some other member here and might not even be accurate. So i guess one of those people who saw it yesterday picked it up and I doubt it was sold for $500. I think either the seller raised the price or the person buying maybe left a deposit and also offered more than asking price and that’s why the drums were “tentatively” sold.
Another scenario is that some other person maybe from Florida wired the money (possibly more than asking) first unseen and then traveled to pick it up.

This reminds me of that yamaha maple custom bop kit I found at a pawn shop website in Florida 5 years ago at a very good price and while I was on the phone with the seller giving my credit card info to get the kit, someone walked into the shop while I was on the phone and paid cash, the seller was like “I prefer not to ship, so sorry I will sell it to this guy here in the store.” I heard the guy asking about the yamaha kit through my phone, I still feel the pain haha but I found another kit soon after that I won’t trade with that Yamaha , so All good.

Oh well, Mardi gras has never been even in my top 5 favorite finishes, but it is a rare kit and definitely super cool and unique. Hope the buyer enjoys it.

Last edited:

markrocks68

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nothing shady or suspicious going on. Those kind of deals catch the eye of people all around the country. Maybe the local guy contacted the Florida guy, who he knows would be interested. Or maybe the Florida guy contacts the local guy, who he has dealt with before, and asks him if he can pick it up and ship it to him. You have to be ready to move on those things. When someone on this for um posts about seeing something collectible at a decent price, and they post a topic asking "Worth a look?", wait for a few replies, and say "I could probably get over there tomorrow after work", I want to say "Don't bother, you've already missed it". I had a situation with a Rogers kit in a less common finish a few years ago. We weren't both available until the next day after he had put up the ad. I got to his place at the agreed upon time with cash, and looked the kit over. In the meantime, he went to check his email. He walked back into the room with this weird look on his face, and said that someone had emailed him with an offer about twice what he had listed it for. He was not someone who was familiar with vintage drums, so the whole situation caught him completely by surprise. He said he would keep his end of the bargain and sell them to me what he had listed them for. I thought about it for about ten seconds and told him, no, it's okay, I can't ask you to take that kind of hit. He was really relieved, as you can imagine. As it turns out, it was a DFO member who got them! I even talked to him on the phone, and he said it was a set in a finish that he had been looking for but didn't have. Good guy.

Latest posts