Craigslist Score

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was checking out Craigslist yesterday when an ad for Snare drum and stand caught my eye. I pulled up the ad and saw two very bad pictures (See the first 2 pictures below).
The price was cheap and I could see what I thought were Imperial lugs so I sent an email to the seller. A couple of hours later he responded and said to come over and check it out. When I get to the house, the snare is sitting on the front steps with a note saying that he was busy, but to check out the snare and if I wanted to buy it to just leave the money under the rug on the steps.

It took me about 5 seconds to determine that the drum is an early 60s Ludwig Super. When I picked it up it was so heavy I knew it was a brass shell. I left the money under the rug and left as quickly as I could.

The last 3 pictures are some I took of the drum when I got it home. Its dirty and has some dents, dings and scrapes, but it will clean up nicely. Overall a great score on a very desirable snare.

Attachments

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Very nice!

I'd have to assume given the circumstances of the buy that it was an incredible deal.

marko52

Piper At the Gates of Dawn
Reaction score
This is too good to be true! He left it on the front steps?! Happy for you......marko

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Well done and congratulations! That good karma came back around to you!

Mike

utdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What a trusting soul! Maybe he has a Harley for sale? Seriously, great snag and even better story. Post pics of the "after" drum.

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mike. I honestly was not expecting anything like this when I went to look at the drum. I was figuring it would probably be a pitted Supra with missing and/or replaced parts at best. Definitely blown away by what I ended up with. I started pulling it apart to clean it up and literally the only non-original part on the drum is the batter head. All of the tension rods and washers are there, the snare wires aren't all stretched out and the P-83 is in good working order. I'm going to give it a thorough cleaning, polish it up and give it some serious playing time.

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice! I know it's kind of in bad taste to ask ... but we all know the going rate on these and are dying to know exactly how much of a score was it?

GoJaskill

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was the person that called 2nd, unfortunately. The owner promised to get back to me if geardaddy didn't show up.

I thought I'd just missed out on a beat up supra. Now I wish I'd never seen this post! :)

Congrats, geardaddy!

(To everyone wondering, the price was well under $100)

Latest posts