Crash ride suggestions?

lemonslush

Reaction score
I plan on setting up a second kit in my drum room but its limited on space and I wanted to do a fun simple setup. I mostly play rock - death metal stuff this kit would be mostly just for rock. I wanted a crash ride for it to save on space and if I decided to take the kit someplace a easy setup is always preferred. Looking for probably something that doesnt exist but figured I would ask.

Ideally I want a 20-21" ride that is not too washy and has a decent cut to it with a nice bell for accents and a crash that cuts and doesnt have that "i just hit a ride cymbal like a crash sound" if you know what I mean. That heavy slow kind of ring. All the rides I currently own are pretty heavey cause I most play fast metal stuff (zildjian z3 mega bell and a 20" ping ride) I picked up a 20 K crash ride and its a awesome crash but for the style music I play its not cutting enough as a ride cymbal. If it was quieter stuff it would be great.

I was thinking maybe a 21 K brilliant crash ride but I know there are plenty of things marketed as a "ride" that also work great as a crash. I had a mienl classic medium 20" for a short while and it oddly worked OK not perfect but decent. Looking for any suggestions I figured order a few to compare then keep the one I love. No brand loyalty so to speak I typically buy zildjian but if it sounds good thats all that matters.
1653651680121.png

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve got an old sabian AA medium ride that seems like it would work well for your needs. See if you can find one to try out

2oo2

Reaction score
Second the suggestion about the 2002 Medium, it’s pretty much the definition of a crash/ride (or multipurpose) cymbal. If you want to go heavier look for a Paiste Rude Ride/Crash, great option as well.

Commodore

Reaction score
If you can't find the 20" Medium, the above link is out of stock...

Paiste 2002 18" Medium is a great choice for your use, as well! ....and easier to find.

I actually prefer it both riding and crashing over the 20" Medium ...sticking it near to the edge.

I did find a 21" 2002 Medium for $330 shipped ...should you decide on it.

Last edited:

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
I plan on setting up a second kit in my drum room but its limited on space and I wanted to do a fun simple setup. I mostly play rock - death metal stuff this kit would be mostly just for rock. I wanted a crash ride for it to save on space and if I decided to take the kit someplace a easy setup is always preferred. Looking for probably something that doesnt exist but figured I would ask.

Ideally I want a 20-21" ride that is not too washy and has a decent cut to it with a nice bell for accents and a crash that cuts and doesnt have that "i just hit a ride cymbal like a crash sound" if you know what I mean. That heavy slow kind of ring. All the rides I currently own are pretty heavey cause I most play fast metal stuff (zildjian z3 mega bell and a 20" ping ride) I picked up a 20 K crash ride and its a awesome crash but for the style music I play its not cutting enough as a ride cymbal. If it was quieter stuff it would be great.

I was thinking maybe a 21 K brilliant crash ride but I know there are plenty of things marketed as a "ride" that also work great as a crash. I had a mienl classic medium 20" for a short while and it oddly worked OK not perfect but decent. Looking for any suggestions I figured order a few to compare then keep the one I love. No brand loyalty so to speak I typically buy zildjian but if it sounds good thats all that matters.
View attachment 561640
I use a 24” Paiste 2002 Crash. It does it all

mfk252

Reaction score
I discovered UFIPs when I was looking for an ideal crash ride.

I gig with two UFIP naturals crashes (18" at 1390 grams and 20" at 1750 grams). They sound like jazz rides on the outer bow and have a fairly heavy bell for the thin weights (similar to a bell on a medium ride). I will sometimes add a 20" light ride from the same series at 2200 grams which crashes well and has a heavy bell (heavier than you would expect on a 2200 gram cymbal).

It sounds like you may need more cut so I'd take a listen to the rides in the bigger sizes. I'm guessing my 2200 gram light ride is not too different in weight than your 20" K Crash Ride.

Many of the UFIP series cymbals have a thick bell with a thin edge, allowing a lot of bases to be covered.

lemonslush

Reaction score
If you can't find the 20", the Paiste 2002 18" Medium is a great choice for your use, as well! ....and easier to find.

I actually prefer it both riding and crashing over the 20"...sticking it near to the edge.

(Also, both pair great with the 2002 20" Heavy Ride)
The 20” crash or the 20” ride?

Drumbumcrumb

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sabian SR2 Thin - all of the 20 and 21s I’ve tried make excellent crash rides, I mean phenomenal. I have pricier cymbals, but always use a 20” SR2 for double duty. It’s one of the few cymbals I’ve played that do both perfectly without any sacrifice. It doesn’t hurt that they’re half or third the price of the usual suspects, but they hold their own with anything. Look for hand hammering on the bell, a good weight, and jump on it. You can’t really go wrong.

Hwy61

Reaction score
I discovered UFIPs when I was looking for an ideal crash ride.

I gig with two UFIP naturals crashes (18" at 1390 grams and 20" at 1750 grams). They sound like jazz rides on the outer bow and have a fairly heavy bell for the thin weights (similar to a bell on a medium ride). I will sometimes add a 20" light ride from the same series at 2200 grams which crashes well and has a heavy bell (heavier than you would expect on a 2200 gram cymbal).

It sounds like you may need more cut so I'd take a listen to the rides in the bigger sizes. I'm guessing my 2200 gram light ride is not too different in weight than your 20" K Crash Ride.

Many of the UFIP series cymbals have a thick bell with a thin edge, allowing a lot of bases to be covered.
I was looking for a particular 21” UFIP ride but could only find it in Italy. For me finding one cymbal that can do it all is like a Holy Grail type cymbal. ( “ one cymbal to rule them all “ : ). Sort of like looking for a unicorn. I think it’s possible, but a lot of luck and effort is involved. I got a 20” Paiste Formula 602 Medium Ride to use specifically as a crash ride & it works very well for that singular application. I.e., riding it like a crash. Too much wash for a hard rock ride and not loud enough for metal. I wanted a ride that has a bell that has a classic rock sound such as on Skynard records or “Ain’t Too Proud To Beg / Temps, and so I got a 20” Zildjian A Series Medium Ride. Surprisingly it produces a good low freq. crash & pleasing ping sound with some wash. I smile when I play this one. The bell is exactly what I wanted. I have a 22” Paiste Bell Ride/ Power Slave and it has an incredible sweet heavy ping & awesome bell too, & can even be crashed though I didn’t buy it for that purpose. I got rid of a 22” Sabian Paragon Ride because it weighed 8.6 lbs., but the Bell Ride is about 8.4 lbs. So, when ya break it down into parts - bell , ping, & crash then it’s hard to find one cymbal that checks all the boxes ( & doesn’t weigh a ton ). Given the physics of design there’s a compromise between a heavy ping and crash-ability. If you analyze the songs you play then it may become apparent which aspect is the most important. I find that most music I like is heavy on the hi-hats and actual short time spent on the ride is divided between the bell & “ riding “. Many times the ride playing is near the bell to enhance the ping sound and so you can achieve a heavier ping sound this way. If you don’t need a heavy ping very often then that can be a good solution. Now, for songs like on Robin Trower recordings I would prefer a cymbal w/ a heavier ping. Just my thoughts, hope it helps some. ( still looking for the perfect cymbal ).

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of my 21" Sweet Ride brilliant finish. It doesn't have a ton of definition but it's very crashable.
+1

Get yourself a used A Sweet Ride and see how you like it. Not too expensive and if you dislike it, you should be able to recoup whatever you paid when you sell. Maybe find a few on Reverb and pick a heavier one. They all crash pretty well, but the heavier ones have a better stick.

YabaMTV

Reaction score

View attachment 561640
Vintage Paiste Black Label 2002 20” Medium. I have four of them. It is one of my favorite cymbals. Very versatile. Many sounds available depending on where and how you hit it. Its a crash and a ride as well. If you like Pink Floyd you have heard Nick Mason using it many times on several albums. It is simply stated a fantastic cymbal.

YabaMTV

Reaction score
If you can't find the 20" Medium, the above link is out of stock...

Paiste 2002 18" Medium is a great choice for your use, as well! ....and easier to find.

I actually prefer it both riding and crashing over the 20" Medium ...sticking it near to the edge.
I have multiples of the 18” and 20” but I wound up using the 20” for the ride and the 18” most often just as a crash.