Crash/Rides Opinions?

texasshawn16

Reaction score
Right now I'm playing a Sabian HH 22" Power Bell Ride Cymbal (Its actually in my profile pic when i was passing through Memphis and stopped in the famous Memphis Drum Shop and met Ben White while checking out). I love that cymbal but due to its size and weight you really cant crash it. At least I don't. So when I'm keeping time on a crash i use my Paiste 2002 19" crash. Recently I have been looking at Zildjian K's crash rides in either 18" or 20". In certain situations I would use that on my kit in place of the Sabian HH. There aren't any music stores close to me to try them out in person so i only have you tube videos to hear them. Does anyone have any opinions on the "crash ride" cymbal, are you currently playing one, if so what do you think? I'm leaning towards the 20 inch K right now but am not fully committed.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I really dig my redesigned A Zildjian 18" Crash Ride. I think it does both things well, as opposed to some which are clearly one or the other. However, this one might be a different animal than the one you seek.

Dan

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
18" as a Ride (especially left side) used to be popular (and plentiful) back in the 50s 60s even into the 70s.
Then trend went " dude. if it's an 18. It's a crash."

So far and few between at present; harder to look for than ever.
I have twenty of them : )
kidding) i'm down to six.

Altho you can find 19" rides all day long; they remained somewhat popular
(still hard to find there sometimes too)

Last edited:

texasshawn16

Reaction score
18" as a Ride (especially left side) used to be popular (and plentiful) back in the 50s 60s even into the 70s.
Then trend went " dude. if it's an 18. It's a crash."

So far and few between at present; harder to look for than ever.
I have twenty of them : )
kidding) i'm down to six.

Altho you can find 19" rides all day long; they remain(ed) popular
(still hard to find there sometimes too)
I think a 19 may be perfect. Like I said, Im using my Paiste 2002 19 crash now but it's too light to be a ride also and get that "ping" sound. At least not the ping I'm looking for. Let's also be honest, as much as I love the 2002 series there bells suck. I have never had a Zildjian in any series (A, A custom, K, or K custom) that didn't have an amazing bell

texasshawn16

Reaction score
pretty soon 20" ride will be laughed at

" dude. 20's a Crash man"

and they'll dry up
only thing safe is a 24

wait. that's a crash too.
Lol I used to have an A Custom 20 inch crash but I sold it cause I didn't like the sound. Lately I been digging the smaller crashes. My main crash is a Paiste 2002 17" thin crash. Then I have an A custom 18" crash next too it and a K custom 18" dark crash over my ride on my right side. (As you can see I am not brand specific, if I like the way it sounds then I keep it.

Reactions: JDA

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Check out the A line as well. I just listened to a beautiful 20" A crash ride the other day.
When buying by soundfile/vido, make sure the soundfile roughtly represents the volume you play at, and shows the palying techqnieus you are going to use on the cymbal.

Jonnymac

Reaction score
I have a light A Sweet ride and I think it crashes and rides very well. Probably won’t cut through really loud amps

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
There are so many crashable rides out there these days, don't forget to check out any Turkish companies you can get your hands on - or listen to soundfiles of. Agrean for example makes terrific crash rides.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are so many crashable rides out there these days
except in 18" size.
Avedis Zildjian from all their lines and models last time I did a curiosity search check listed 1 18"Ride- 4 18" crash Rides.
True you can find a few (marked Thin Ride for ex. in Bosph speak) 18s a few from all manufacturers they are not in fashion scarce.
In reality they are, were, used to be, may still be...very practical.

"what do you need all those crash cymbals for; you can hit any cymbal for an accent"
words to live by
"ride is where your thing is coming from"
and that's what he meant, he can hit any of, his rides for an accent.

Last edited:

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are so many crashable rides out there these days, ...
Yes. A lot might depend on what “type” of crash-ride sound you prefer.

The 2002 and standard K are both on the cleaner spectrum, so can we assume that you’re not looking for something with appreciable trash?

I owned a 90’s 18” K Crash-Ride that was fantastic. Smooth, big, bloomy crash and a legitimate, light, deep, dryish ride sound, good bell ...

My current favorite however is a 20” Bettis Thin. Nice tah, quick, trashy accents ...

So many options, but my first choice would be contact one our resident smiths and tell them exactly what you want.

tbird8450

Reaction score
The most impressive crash I ever got from a ride cymbal was with a 20" K Custom Dark. I ultimately unloaded it as the tone when riding wasn't what I was after, but WOW, crashing it was super addicting. I had to force myself to stop before I beat it down to a lower pricing tier. Disclaimer: being a Zildjian, YMMV.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve used the following rides as crash/rides:

Old 20” A, under just under 1900 grams; left side ride.

20” Pre Aged Dry Light Ride (Shouldn’t have sold it but what are you going to do?)

20” K Custom Dark Ride, about 2100 grams (only crash it in louder settings; good bar band cymbal)

18” Uptown Ride (a dirty little groover of a cymbal)

20” K Con Medium (Ping on Wash Cycle and a crash that detonates with some nice bloom that’s musical with a little static. )

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a Kerope 19" crash (/ride). It's got a beautiful crash and just the right amount of stick definition and wash as a ride. Does both very well. It's great for a jazz gig or something where you don't need a loud crash. That's the only limitation I see with it... the crash is not all that loud... it's a really GOOD crash sound, just isn't going to cut through a loud mix.

Jonnymac

Reaction score
I agree- the 19 Kerope is probably the loveliest crash/ride. I love it for recording and quieter gigs, but it gets lost REAL quick

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree- the 19 Kerope is probably the loveliest crash/ride. I love it for recording and quieter gigs, but it gets lost REAL quick
Yep... it's great for the restaurant jazz gigs I used to do before COVID. It's a real shame, because I bought that cymbal mainly for that purpose and then didn't get to use it as the gigs were killed (so far) by COVID. I'm sure it'll come in handy at some point in the future though! In the meantime, the only gigs I've done recently were a private party mostly classic rock gig about two months ago, and then a Broadway tribute show at a big amphitheater last weekend. Obviously, I didn't use the Kerope for those. The private party gig was unmic'd (drums) by the pool in somebody's back yard. And the amphitheater gig was mic'd and run through a big sound system. I think in either of those, that cymbal would have been lost in the mix. I also needed a good "suspended cymbal" sound with mallets for crescendo's in some of the Broadway tunes, and the Kerope isn't very good for that either.

Last edited:

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In my experience the flattened shoulders of a typical ride are not amenable to crashing. You need a cymbal with the contour of a crash in order for the cymbal to have a chance to do both.

I picked up a 20" Paiste Twenty Prototype Light ride several years ago and was amazed that a single cymbal had both a ride and crash sound that I loved. After a half century of playing I didn't think such a thing was possible. Then one day at a drum store I was messing with a Twenty crash and it was identical to my "ride." I brought my ride into the store and played them side by side. The secret of my wonderful ride is that is a crash cymbal with "Prototype Light Ride" ink on it.

I have a K Zildjian ZMAC inbound, designed to be a crash, ride and half of an orchestral cymbal pair, I expect it to look like a crash.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
In my experience the flattened shoulders of a typical ride are not amenable to crashing. You need a cymbal with the contour of a crash in order for the cymbal to have a chance to do both.
Do you mean profile/bow, or taper/thinner edge?
I can't say a lot about taper, not easy to see by the naked eye, but I know cymbals with very different profiles can be great crash/rides, low in the case of the Agean mentioned above, or higher in the case of As. Crashes aren't all high (or low) profile either.

Nobody has mentioned the A Avedis line yet :)