Crashes; odd or even, or both?

Bonzo442

Reaction score
I’m a Paiste guy and use 2oo2’s, Sig, GB, 602 classic & ME, love the variety of the different lines. I have a lot of rides and hats sound edge ect...but it dawned on me the other day that I only use even sizes when it came to my crashes? Hmm why? Idk I just always used 14,16,18,20 & 22” crashes. To me they seem like they aren’t to close and I’ve noticed with Paiste especially in the same line like let’s say 2oo2 medium crashes that the 16,18,20 have the perfect pitch separation and sound good to me? I’ve never liked a 17 or a 19 and just wondering if anybody else is ocd or crazy like me and just like even or odd size crashes or both?

Stuffed Chimp

Reaction score
I'm more a fan of odd sizes: 17 and 19 are perfect for me. That said, I have a massive soft spot for the big 20 crashes and there's usually one on my kit somewhere. Usually over the floor toms for that big crash after a fill.

daveplaydrum

Reaction score
I like sticking with a 16” and an 18”. I had a 19” for a while (k custom hybrid) that just felt out of place sonically. I don’t know if it was the cymbal or the size or what but for whatever reason I attributed it to the odd number amongst the evens. So I traded it for something else and moved on. I haven’t bought an odd number cymbal since (unless you count the RBDR I had traded the k custom for, but I didn’t like that either)

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
15" and 17" crashes here. Despite being a Paiste guy the best crash I've ever had, which I've used for three decades, is a Zildjian 15" medium-thin so I pair it with a 17" Paiste Twenty. My other cymbals: 20" Paiste Twenty Light Ride, 14" 602 hats, etc. are conventional sizes.

markkarj

Reaction score
At times, I quite like a three inch separation between crashes. One case would be to use a 14" Sabian AAXplosion fast, a 17" AAXplosion fast, and a 20" AAX V-crash. So to answer the question, even, odd, even :)

Sometimes I like to have a "bright" cymbal and a "dark" cymbal readily available. The best example I can think of would be 15" Istanbul XIST crashes as hats, a 22" Sabian SR2 thin (which I think is a reworked Omni) as the "bright" one, and a 22" Istanbul Agop Medium Crash as the dark one.

Bonzo442

Reaction score
From what I’m seeing I need to explore some other choices! I tried a 17” 2002 once to go along with a set up of an 18 & 20 but sold it soon after and kept my 16. Lately I usually have 18 & 20 crashes and a 22 GB also as a crash/ride next to my 22 ride but if I use another crash it’s a 16 or 22. Works for me I guess but really was wondering if it’s common or not. I guess I’m an even oddball

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
starting out i had a 16 and 18 and i asked the older guys in the drum shop i bought what i should get next and they said...why not a 17...so i did have those 3 for a while.

in my last band I used Wuhan Linear crashes (5 sided things)...they only come in 11/13/15 (I have them all...great separation).

I don't think too much about the inches...I think do i like the sound...does it work with the other sounds I'm using.

dtk

mebeatee

Reaction score
It depends on the situation....I have 12,13,14,15,16,17,18 crashes, and a couple of 20" crash/rides.. They all can be mixed and matched accordingly.
Off topic a bit....same with hats...8,10,12,13,14,15 sets.
bt

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
While I have crashes from 16” to 20”, I typically will grab a 17” and 19” for most gigs. Goes for both Paiste 2002 or Zildjian K Custom lines...

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
Growing up the even sizes were everywhere, so that's what I got.
As I have gotten older I am more picky about the sound. With that I've noticed something peculiar.

For some reason the even sizes seem to have a "character" to their sound and the odd sizes seem to have another entirely different "character to their sound.
It's hard to describe, but to me the odd sizes sound sweeter or smoother. You can put odd sizes right next to their even counterparts and the difference is noticeable. I've got a 19" on my kit right now that has a characteristic all to its own. I would love to find/try a 17" to see how the two odds would pair up.

FormerPNV

Reaction score
I'm not a metallurgist, but there may sweet spots for certain cymbals based on how thick they are, bell size, etc. Some might sound amazing in 16" and "meh" in 17", and vice versa. I have a 17" Paiste Signature Full Crash that I prefer over a 16", and I heard a new Sabian AAX 19" Thin Crash that sounded amazing compared to the 18" and 17" from the same shipment played next to it.

Same thing applies to drums.....remember when Neil Peart could never get a 14" rack tom to work? Just play what sounds good and don't worry about if it's a conventional size.

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My 19" is my favorite cymbal. Its puts off a "minor" tone in pitch. I've used it as a ride as well and it plays real nice there as well.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Both. I have a 17", 2 18", 2 19" and a 20". I like a 17" over a 16". It just has a bit more power and cans serve as a main crash. I also find the 19" to be a great size. It's a bit bigger sound than an 18", but it's still a great all around crash cymbal. Currently I have my 18" & 20" 2002 Mediums set up, but I'm ready to break out my 18" & 19" Sig Full Crashes.

Bonzo442

Reaction score
Amazing what a difference one inch can make.
That’s what she said! Seriously though I think the even sizes are more common just by default. Some cymbal lines don’t even offer odd sizes in the crashes. But in all honesty maybe I’m just used to those sizes but I always hear to my ears odd tones on the odd 17 & 19 sizes.

blownaway

Reaction score
The tone is what matters for me. I tried all sorts of combos. Ended up liking BOTH 18" & 20" and 20" & 22" 602 ME crashes.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Both. Anything from 17 through 22 for me. Not all at once of course. Have crashes (or rides that act as crashes) in each of those sizes except for 21.

But Typically I end up going with 19 and 20, but I’m always changing things around.

Latest posts