Craviotto - Ludwig: Your thoughts?

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I saw this posted on Steve Maxwell's Reverb store last night

https://reverb.com/item/34685443-craviotto-ludwig-style-solid-maple-shell-5-5x14-snare-drum-add-this-to-your-ludwig-set

It's a badged Craviotto solid shell with Ludwig bowtie lugs and throw-off. Unlike the N&C/Ludwig solid shell drum that DCP was selling last year, this is not a collaboration between the two companies. It's simply something that Maxwell has put together given his ties with Craviotto. He's marketing it as a solid shell drum that will match a player's Ludwig kit. It's strange for me to see a drum whose hardware instantly screams "Ludwig," but at the same time has a fairly prominent Craviotto badge. Of course, it's the sound that matters most. What are your thoughts?

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I’m sure it’s not the first shell made by someone other than Ludwig that has Ludwig hardware on it. As long as it’s made clear that’s it’s just that, a drum with Ludwig hardware on it I personally don’t have any problems with it. I have a Keller shell snare I used Yamaha hardware on but wouldn’t say it’s a Yamaha drum.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Interesting concept. I like it, but there's one thing I would have done differently. Let's see if anyone else feels the same way.

Vicey

Reaction score
Interesting concept. I like it, but there's one thing I would have done differently. Let's see if anyone else feels the same way.
I would not have used a Ludwig strainer.

thestorysold

Reaction score
it's strange- it almost looks like one of the cheaper Ludwig lines without a typical Ludwig badge.

bst2uklud14snaredrum.jpg

I don't really like natural finish drums. they look incomplete to me.

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bowtie lugs always look cheap to me, but I guess if you're going for a Ludwig vibe they are iconic.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
$1000 for a snare drum? I'd have to have upwards of $10 million in the bank just to feel justified.
There's no snare drum in the world worth over $986 imb
(correct title spelling if you can Cochlea..)

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
$1000 for a snare drum? I'd have to have upwards of $10 million in the bank just to feel justified.
$1000 dollars today equates to approximately $120 in 1960. I think a thousand dollar snare is justified in certain cases.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good catch. I've corrected the spelling error.

Reactions: JDA

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think it's pretty cool if you can afford it. (Alot of $$ though for what I would consider a Frankensnare) Looks like Ludwig & sounds like Craviotto. It's a win win if you've got the cash.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
He even bas the first ever made DW Craviotto shell for sale at 5k.

Snares are worth at what they sell for.

I think this is cool and he is honest ablut it, and being the new owner of Craviotto, Steve is basically all the provenance you need.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Those floor mats. I mean gaskets have got to go.
I remember last week you commented about the gaskets on another snare (I can't remember which one). You must really really hate those untrimmed gaskets! Funny how people see and notice different things. I've never cared to look at my gaskets to see if they hang outwards until I read your comment. They do but I guess I see them as the norm! I kind of see them as tiny edge protectors for the lugs & Atlas mounts.

Last edited:

Latest posts