Craviotto - Ludwig: Your thoughts?

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I remember last week you commented about the gaskets on another snare (I can't remember which one). You must really really hate those untrimmed gaskets! Funny how people see and notice different things. I've never cared to look at my gaskets to see if they hang outwards until I read your comment. They do but I guess I see them as the norm! I kind of see them as tiny edge protectors for the lugs & Atlas mounts.
Look at any other manufacturer's gaskets. Even look at Ludwig's gaskets on the new beadless Imperials. The all just stick out enough to do their job. DW's are too big to but at least they are the same shape as the lugs. Don't get me started on the gaskets on the Supra and black beauties.

Probably 8 or 9 years ago I convinced Bermuda to remove the gaskets from one of his kits. He did one tom and really liked how much better they looked. His only complaint was how much time it was going to take to remove them from the rest of the kit.

Gaskets are unecessary in the first place. They dampen the drum and add unecessary weight. Josh at Inde Drum will tell you this. They don't protect the finish. I have had Themogloss Ludwigs and an entire Neil Peart sized set of Tama Superstars which my brother still has and there has never been a problem with the finish around any of the hardware. I am a big Ludwig fan. They just don't seem to take some details as seriously as they should.

Last edited:

feelyat

Reaction score
The flat Imperial lug is hands down my favorite lug....after the Jenkins-Martin lug of course! ;)
I completely agree, with one caveat. The J-M lug seems to be based on my personal favorite center snare lug, the leedy lug from the 60s slingerland era. Or maybe it's a coincidence, but they seem to be design cousins, regardless. I like them both.

leedy-centerlug.jpeg

Flat Imperial is a close second.

Mendozart

Jenkins-Martin rep
Reaction score
I completely agree, with one caveat. The J-M lug seems to be based on my personal favorite center snare lug, the leedy lug from the 60s slingerland era. Or maybe it's a coincidence, but they seem to be design cousins, regardless. I like them both.

View attachment 451956

Flat Imperial is a close second.
You can definitely tell that Allen Blaemire was influenced by Leedy, when he designed his lugs. The Jenkins-Martin lugs are exact replicas of Allen’s lugs.
641E8086-FCCC-498E-8523-484BBD398305.jpeg 89097B34-251B-4344-9BFD-E867AA2EA00A.jpeg

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would have liked to see flat Imperial lugs.
Here you go!