Crazy idea--reversible drums

davidheinke

Reaction score
I'm planning out a kit build, and I had a bad idea this morning, but I can't shake it. I'm coming at it from a recording perspective, but WHAT IF, on a tom/FT, one edge was [30 degrees with die cast hoops] and the other was [full roundover with pearl fat tone hoops], with a tom mount in the middle. The idea is that you could flip the drum over, tune, and get a slightly different sound.

Maximum utility!

However...would it actually sound different?

kevin klever

Reaction score
I think it's a good idea. Craviotto has done this before. I think the idea is that the bearing edge on the reso side has a lot less impact on the overall sound of the drum than on the batter side which is a main determinant of the sound. Never played around with the idea or heard those drums, but if this is the case I think it's a good way of getting more out of the same set.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Cool idea. With die-cast, I found the bottom side does make a slight difference, maybe due to weight/stiffness.
Not sure if I would want to change back and forth that often, or use identical tension top and bottom (I'd change sound by tuning/muffling). If you have customers ordering kits, it would be a great idea for a demo kit to show what hoops/edges do.