Crisis in Music

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Why would the Music Industry find Gioia controversial? His entire talk is geared towards making end users pay for music again, or at the very least seeding that idea into people's minds.

The problem; YouTube where content is both stolen and free.

The working model or what he aspires to: HBO where one must pay considerably.

The Alternative if you don't pay for HBO: Cable, where the content is both Vapid and predictable.

I think this guy is Crypto but assuming he is not place what he is saying into the context of the EU's Article 13 Copyright directive and how that will effect this music on YouTube. Then think of these ads you are seeing on YouTube for it's YouTube TV where you pay a subscription fee for select content and advertisement free viewing and you begin to see what Gioia is seeding the ground for.

It is classic problem, reaction, solution and bait and switch rolled into one. EU article 13 will eliminate all content from the internet that it does not want disseminated and usher all of this "Free" music into a pay to play section. Everything else on YouTube will be both Vapid and predictable.

Last edited:

mtarrani

DFO Master
Reaction score
Why would the Music Industry find Gioia controversial? His entire talk is geared towards making end users pay for music again, or at the very least seeding that idea into people's minds.

The problem; YouTube where content is both stolen and free.

The working model or what he aspires to: HBO where one must pay considerably.

The Alternative if you don't pay for HBO: Cable, where the content is both Vapid and predictable.

I think this guy is Crypto but assuming he is not place what he is saying into the context of the EU's Article 13 Copyright directive and how that will effect this music on YouTube. Then think of these ads you are seeing on YouTube for it's YouTube TV where you pay a subscription fee for select content and advertisement free viewing and you begin to see what Gioia is seeding the ground for.

It is classic problem, reaction, solution and bait and switch rolled into one. EU article 13 will eliminate all content from the internet that it does not want disseminated and user all of this "Free" music into a pay to play section. Everything else on YouTube will be both Vapid and predictable.
You are one of the few who actually gets what Gioia is saying. Bravo!

Beatnik

Johnson
Reaction score
Thought time.

Some have mentioned "live" music disappearing. The main reason is because the people that frequented these shows used this as a reason to get out, let loose, be stupid, get drunk/high and smoke, it's all been sterilized and banned to the point they just stay home. We have all complained about these people, but they always paid to be there.

dsop

Reaction score
Do you know that many younger folks? I don't disagree that there is a strong base of them who are into old rock but it is very much a niche thing. The vast majority of them listen to pop singers, rappers and electronic artists.
Rock music is not the most popular music. I think Rap or Hip-hop took the mantle sometime last year. There's no accounting for taste, but I was merely pointing out that music is being listened to and 'consumed' more than ever, while musicians and songwriters are being robbed by Google and their ilk.

ThomFloor

Reaction score
Rock music is not the most popular music. I think Rap or Hip-hop took the mantle sometime last year.
For sure, hiphop has been the most popular music form for many years, and most downloaded/streamed by a huge margin. Followed by 'country' which has of course morphed to 'pop'. Good ole 'Rock'.....only for the over 40 crowd.

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Funny how we bellyached about being raped by the record labels.

Now we have the steering wheel and there are so many options and unsettled dust that our heads are spinning a bit now.
I guess sometimes more structure is good, and thus what we have here is the prime time with prime problems.

Allow me to introduce you to my music marketing system.........

Latest posts