Crisis in Music

Johnny K

Reaction score
Talk to any 9 year old and he'll tell you he watches other kids playing video games on youtube (on his tablet).
I always thought this was a wierd thing to do. Then it occured to me that I watch drummers playing drums on YouTube all the time. Maybe more than I should.

Guy was spot on about content not wanting to be free and how HBO and over the air TV are so radically opposite in there business models. And he convieniently left out how bad season two of True Detective was.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
There have been several bands with larger sized or not Barbie-like singers that have been commercially successful in recent years. Alabama Shakes comes to mind, they got great promotion and visibility across platforms for their debut record. Lizzo had top-10 hits in 2017 and 2019. I think the people arguing about whether the industry will notice or promote a 300 lb woman singer are just saying what they themselves would promote. Adele has been fuller figured for much of her career, and she was one of the top selling singers in the world for a while not long ago. Going back in time a bit, Blues Traveller's debut video made a big deal of how they weren't a pretty, slim, young boy band, and it was a fair poke at the industry, but then BT had a huge hit and a long career. Notorious BIG was one of the top commercially successful rappers for several years.

While it's true that people have their prejudices, and the music industry is venal and small minded, I don't think this idea that certain people won't be promoted for not being pretty is even a fraction of a drop in the bucket of the discussion of what's wrong with music distribution today.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good morning, Alexa, please start my coffee...

Yes Dear....

Hello Alexa. What should I have for dinner?

I recommend the veggie burger.

Alexa, I'm hot. Please turn on the air conditioning.

I'm sorry, I can't do that. You have used up all your carbon credits for the month. And besides...sweating is good for you! And where did you get that can of soda from? Soda is bad for you...I will have to notify the authorities....

Alexa...ALEXA! No please! I promise not to do it again! Please! STOP!!! Nooooooloooooooo

Ok Dear. If you can answer the following question correctly, I may overlook it this time. Ready?

Yes!!!

2+2=?

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good morning, Alexa, please start my coffee...

Yes Dear....

Hello Alexa. What should I have for dinner?

I recommend the veggie burger.

Alexa, I'm hot. Please turn on the air conditioning.

I'm sorry, I can't do that. You have used up all your carbon credits for the month. And besides...sweating is good for you! And where did you get that can of soda from? Soda is bad for you...I will have to notify the authorities....

Alexa...ALEXA! No please! I promise not to do it again! Please! STOP!!! Nooooooloooooooo

Ok Dear. If you can answer the following question correctly, I may overlook it this time. Ready?

Yes!!!

2+2=?
Well done, well done.

dsop

Reaction score
The union has been utterly worthless in my lifetime at least in the various scenes I’ve played in in my lifetime.
They did some great things for me back when I was a member. The only reason they weren't more effective for the most part is because of all the musicians who decided that they could ignore the rules.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Alexa is actually a government front designed to implant chips wirelessly in all of our brains.
Well....almost.

See, what they have discovered is that only people born before 1981 will need actual physical "chips" implanted. This will help them get over the final hurdle and plugged into the Matrix proper.

Anyone born after that has had enough brain cells altered through conditioning that chips aren't even required, and would be considered to be an amateurish "hack" job....

Proper indoctrination is much cleaner, actually much more effective, and obviously cheaper.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well....actually we never really know for sure. It's a floating result. If it's serves a purpose today to be '5' then so be it.

But don't discount that on some days....when Obrien may be feeling a little frisky for instance....'4' really is the correct answer.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They did some great things for me back when I was a member. The only reason they weren't more effective for the most part is because of all the musicians who decided that they could ignore the rules.
Be a punk rock band and you will understand why because no one would book them in the Union clubs.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
The union has been utterly worthless in my lifetime at least in the various scenes I’ve played in in my lifetime.
The Musician's Union didn't used to be worthless. Back in the 70's, the union got us our money when club owners didn't want to pay us. The union provided lots of Trust Fund gigs. I played a ton of them. They enforced union scale so non-union guys couldn't undercut us. I did TV and theater and radio gigs, always got extra money for rehearsals.

That all changed when many states passed right-to-work laws, which not only hurt musicians, but auto workers, steel workers, et al.

Unions aren't perfect. Like any human endeavor, you can expect greed and corruption. But the Musician's Union took good care of me for 20 years. I dropped out in 1990 because they just had no influence any more. There were guys working for $40 a night, and the union was powerless to stop it.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think live music has always had an issue in my lifetime. Did bands have to draw people to these big clubs back in 30’s-50’s? When did it become you have to bring people in to drink the clubs overpriced drinks from you have to entertain the club’s people already there so they don’t leave from paying for these overpriced drinks?

This is nothing new. This has been going on since my life in music. When was that famous Frank Zappa interview about record companies and their executives recorded?

This is nothing new. This has been going on since my life in music. When was that famous Frank Zappa interview recorded

The AFM has little impact on the "scenes I play in," either, Dale. As has been re-hashed to death here, the old 6/7 nights a week bar gigging world is long gone. They have not a clue nor interest in the pay to play crowd, indie artist, coffee shop for tips - all the "new creative" (for the past 35 years LOL) scenes, scenes that I play in constantly, maybe you do too. But they are very much involved in working to make sure the digital media companies pay for their use and re-use of recorded music in all formats, and that the songwriters and performers of those songs get paid. They are not standing for letting them get away with not paying. Interestingly, Frank Zappa (The Zappa Family Trust) has nice, tight copyright on his stuff. He always did.

Latest posts