CRS - Cymbal resonance system and cymbal stand vibration in general

Ox Han

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the CRS? For the first time in my life I’m noticing how much vibration from the cymbal stands bring out the lower frequency in my current cymbals. Or, at least that’s what seems to be happening to my ears. Are there other ways to reduce the vibration transfer from cymbal to stand to floor to room?

In the past, I always used two crashes and one very heavy ride (90’s k 20” custom dry) and never noticed this. I’m searching for one crash/ride and have really noticed the lower register of the crash. It’s almost like a pulsing wave.

thanks

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only thing that has kept me from picking up a couple of the CRS's is the price.

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an actual product? The only thing I can say is that some guys really like vintage stands because of the way the cymbals sound. Peter Erskine and Steve Jordan come to mine here. And once I bought a cheap pacific cymbal stand that just sucked the life out of one of my ride cymbals, so I try not to use really cheap hardware anymore

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I read somewhere that Peter Erskin left Yamaha because they wouldn’t come up with a flat base cymbal stand for that very reason!

cymbal.wiki

Reaction score
This is an actual product?
Apparently, but the OP failed to supply a link.

There are also YouTube videos and Instagram posts. I'll start you off with one

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread likely introduces most of us to the product for the first time. If anyone tried these already, I’d like to read about it too.
Does anyone have experience with the CRS? For the first time in my life I’m noticing how much vibration from the cymbal stands bring out the lower frequency in my current cymbals. Or, at least that’s what seems to be happening to my ears. Are there other ways to reduce the vibration transfer from cymbal to stand to floor to room?

In the past, I always used two crashes and one very heavy ride (90’s k 20” custom dry) and never noticed this. I’m searching for one crash/ride and have really noticed the lower register of the crash. It’s almost like a pulsing wave.

thanks
If a cymbal on a stand is played on a solid floor like concrete or stone, there will be no audible transfer of cymbal vibration to the floor. A wooden floor will hum and sing along with the vibration of the cymbal being transferred through the stand. The stages we're all used to playing on will do this every time.

I predict that you're playing on a wooden floor and hearing the above phenomenon. Otherwise, like you alluded to, you have a cymbal with a characteristic you've not heard before, which is entirely possible... or both A and B.

One way to reduce that energy and sound transfer is rather impractical but effective: a thick, rubber appliance isolation mat will absorb the energy. My drums are setup on one at my rehearsal room in the city (which I hope to get back to, eventually), although the original purpose was to isolate the drums from the wooden floor and at that, it's quite effective (audibly so). I'm sure it helps the cymbals, too. When I gig, all bets are off with the isolation mat because it weighs 100 lbs and lives in the rehearsal room ONLY, for that reason.

I'm probably going to try one of the CRS gadgets just out of curiosity. My drums are setup on a concrete garage floor for the time being and my ride stand rattles. I'd like to find out how well this works and if it'll improve the sound of an already great sounding ride.

Furthermore, if it's good enough for Gavin Harrison...

Quai34

Reaction score
My rack with 5 cymbals being more on the lower pitch, not all of them though, Sabian Artist 16", AAX Xplosion fats crash, Meinl Byzance Dark 17", Meinl Byzance traditional 17" and Sabian Artisan Light ride was always developing an under wave of lower frequencies that was not coming form the cymbals. It was the rack that was vibrating at a kind of sympathetic Resonance under each cymbals, developing a weird low pitch that as really consistent and buging. I put under them CRS une under eachandbought problem solved, so, it really help to get the pure tone of tour cymbal whatever the stand they are in. So, the cat that the cymbals was resonating with the stand, Making than almost unplayable or bad playable for me...entirely solved with the CSR.

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of the Grombal, but it never seemed to get much industry traction, and now I'm seeing fewer on the market, so I just bought a bunch more. I don't use them on rides though. For rides I just glue or tape washer, sleeve, and bottom felt to the stand and set it on top.

mfryed2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
I believe PDP and dw use a cymbal felt that is glued to a plastic sleeve, the sleeve is a part of what would be the washer. The top felt also has that plastic washer glued to the felt, but no sleeve. The bottom part is good, the top part=sucking the life out of your cymbal.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Years ago I tried a compression spring under the washer. It did increase the low-end - but that wasn't actually very pleasant, so I removed it again.
Interesting topic, how cymbal stands, floor , insulation etc. influence sound. Lighter flat base stands feel, maybe also sound, different, but so does changing the washer to a smaller one, I even tried a small plumbing rubber washer. Allowed for a freer 'swing' of the cymbal.

Not so sure about stands on concrete doing nothing to the sound. Heavy-duty stands make a difference here, too. Again, not sure if it is only feel or sound as well.

Whitten

Reaction score
I always thought CRS was actually quite affordable. The main problem I have with cymbal stands is the odd rattle and hum that seem to come and go unexplained.
I've been meaning to pick up a few CRS, but just haven't got around to it yet.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You wouldnt need a sleeve on the top felt as you already have the regular sleeve at the bottom.

image.jpg

Just make sure there is enough space to have the cymbals move freely, and then there will be no life-sucking thing happening.

I believe PDP and dw use a cymbal felt that is glued to a plastic sleeve, the sleeve is a part of what would be the washer. The top felt also has that plastic washer glued to the felt, but no sleeve. The bottom part is good, the top part=sucking the life out of your cymbal.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So you're saying that felt touching the area maybe a centimeter in radius around the mounting hole is "sucking the life out of your cymbal???"
Did you tighten the collar underneath controlling the slop, or free play of the cymbal with a pipe wrench? All that upper felt does is protect the cymbal from the wingnut in violent free play mode.

Quai34

Reaction score
To the OP, have you tried cympads?
I tried them, the standard one, they do?? 5% less rumble but still a lot of it for me...I chose the chromatics, I think? This is the one my store had, in orange and red...I didn't want to get less sustain or lower the volume of my Cymbals so, just wanted to get rid of the extra resonance that was in tune with my cymbakpls but coming from the rack...

Ox Han

Reaction score
This thread likely introduces most of us to the product for the first time. If anyone tried these already, I’d like to read about it too.

If a cymbal on a stand is played on a solid floor like concrete or stone, there will be no audible transfer of cymbal vibration to the floor. A wooden floor will hum and sing along with the vibration of the cymbal being transferred through the stand. The stages we're all used to playing on will do this every time.

I predict that you're playing on a wooden floor and hearing the above phenomenon. Otherwise, like you alluded to, you have a cymbal with a characteristic you've not heard before, which is entirely possible... or both A and B.

One way to reduce that energy and sound transfer is rather impractical but effective: a thick, rubber appliance isolation mat will absorb the energy. My drums are setup on one at my rehearsal room in the city (which I hope to get back to, eventually), although the original purpose was to isolate the drums from the wooden floor and at that, it's quite effective (audibly so). I'm sure it helps the cymbals, too. When I gig, all bets are off with the isolation mat because it weighs 100 lbs and lives in the rehearsal room ONLY, for that reason.

I'm probably going to try one of the CRS gadgets just out of curiosity. My drums are setup on a concrete garage floor for the time being and my ride stand rattles. I'd like to find out how well this works and if it'll improve the sound of an already great sounding ride.

Furthermore, if it's good enough for Gavin Harrison...
Yes, spot on. Not only am I on a wood floor, but I am also on the 2nd floor.

So, the wood floor and the floor joists of the 2nd floor of an old home is multiplying the problem if it indeed is vibrating through the floor. I suspect it is.

Ox Han

Reaction score
Last edited:

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not so sure about stands on concrete doing nothing to the sound. Heavy-duty stands make a difference here, too. Again, not sure if it is only feel or sound as well.
Just want to make clear what I posted earlier. It’s a minor point, but I said a stand on concrete will not transfer vibration into the floor, not that the stand itself wouldn’t vibrate and have some effect on a cymbal. They all do unless mounted on a device like the CRS or suspended.

Ox Han

Reaction score
Would this be an alternative to the CRS? I think the CRS is move decoupled from the cymbals stand, but wondering how effective just this tama spring mechanism would be?