Cruise Ship Drumming

ian.thomas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I knew a [really good] drummer in college that dd this. We weren't close friends, so I didn't get all the details, but the takeaway was he hated it and said the pay was not enough to keep doing it. Last I heard he was playing in LV at one of the Cirque du Soleil shows ("O" I think), but that was along time ago.

drummaman1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I knew a [really good] drummer in college that dd this. We weren't close friends, so I didn't get all the details, but the takeaway was he hated it and said the pay was not enough to keep doing it. Last I heard he was playing in LV at one of the Cirque du Soleil shows ("O" I think), but that was along time ago.
Precisely. It's part-time pay but full-time living on the ship to do it. I have a day job now the past five years, that combined with private teaching two days a week and gigging on Friday or Saturday, or both days, I make much more and I get to play my own gear. And I don't get jostled about in rough seas. And no passenger or crew drills. And no itchy lifejackets, getting crammed into lifeboats to simulate evacuating the ship.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been going through some stuff on his channel. He's a great drummer, but what I like is that he's really enjoying himself when he plays, and that comes through in the videos.

This looks like tons of fun.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great gig. The women come aboard looking to make a Love Boat connection, and there you are. She'll never seek you again. You can't besmirch her reputation, you'll never run into her again, there's romantic sunsets.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Except; you may bring a part of her back home you weren't counting on!...Chances are its not her first roll on the waves..lol

Pocketplayer

Reaction score
glad most of you dug the videos...its not for everyone but hes young and not burnt out like some might have been. he also is hungry...but note his attitude...if you watch many of his videos, he is just a good dude that gets along with people and has a positive attitude...i will tell you this, he will get gigs based mostly on that, not his drumming...at this level, everyone can drum, but if you can hang with people well...that sets you apart. end of story! his vlogging or making videos is his hobby to KILL TIME WISELY...that is the key on a gig like this...if you like to read, a huge bonus! if you like to chase girls, a real problem, drink, or gamble...it will catch up to you on a ship! dude is a working drummer...RESPECT!

every gig has pros and cons...it is how you adapt yes? controlling boat manager...OK, so what? deal wit it. yes sir, no sir...move on. got ego issues, yeah, you will have conflict. cant practice on stage area, ok,....guess what, we are back to connecting to people. people skills make the difference! smart folks know how to make connections...meet the captain and in his office he has Cleveland Brown gear...there it is...your insight to connect...talk CB football.

i used to get studio gigs not because i was a great drummer, but because i brought coffee and bagels to the sessions as a young punk. found out when the engineer kid had a birthday and got him a toy for his kid. guess what engineer recommended me for more gigs?

Last edited: