Cult-like followings in the drum world

notINtheband

Reaction score
So by definition: ‘A system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object. A relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister. a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing.’

But let’s take out religious and sinister, and just talk music/drumming/gear.

What ‘cult-like’ followings have you observed, even identified with, in the drum world.

I’ve been a proud member of ‘the worlds largest cult-band following’ as a life-long Rush fan. But that hardly qualifies nor even meets the definition. It’s just a fun moniker. I think we Rush fans take pride in the bands work flying so high despite being less than commercially digestible.

In the drum world, I’m probably guilty of membership in the Mapex cult (if there is such a thing), as well as the Paiste crowd (too large to be a cult?). But again, are we fanatical? Or just part of a smaller, yet highly loyal, base of like minded blokes.

Sometimes when talking to other drummers I find some who are so loyal to a small brand I begin to wonder if they have a real passion for something that has worked well for them (I feel I am in that space), or if that same passion has gone to another, maybe even unhealthy level. One where their attachment has become so engrained the brand or item becomes, flawless!

What drum related “cults” have you ran across?
But please, Let’s keep it fun.

notINtheband

Reaction score
I have noticed that anytime a drummer on YouTube demonstrates or teaches anything related to Bonham, half the video is a disclaimer in an attempt to head off a torrent of hate from the army of Bonham purists. Even now, I feel compelled to clarify, I AM A Bonham Fan.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unlike guitar players, only a very select few drummers have made it to cult-like status IMHO.

1- Buddy Rich
2- Neil Peart
3- John Bonham
4- Ringo

Many, many others have made it to notable status however. That list can be long, but I don't consider them to have cult followings.

1 - Keith Moon
2 - Ian Paice
3- Louie Bellson
4- Art Blakey
5- Max Roach

Etc, etc.

Tornado

DFO Master
Reaction score
"Cult" has a negative connotation from those standing outside of it. The label is typically applied based upon how annoying its adherents are.

Here's my criteria: Do I ever get to the point where I just want to say, "Can you shut up about ____ for once?"

Here's a few of mine, based on how annoyed I become.

I loved Neil. But yeah, there's a cult. Possible reaction: "For the love of God, will you shut up about Neil?"
Buddy. Yep. Possible reaction: "Can you please shut up about Buddy Rich?"
Danny Carey. Possible reaction: "Yeah, I know who he is. Yeah, he's really good. No, I don't want to get high and listen to Tool right now."
John Bonham. Possible reaction: "I love him, but for crying out loud, there's so many drummers who haven't been dead for 40 years."

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So by definition: ‘A system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object. A relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister. a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing.’

But let’s take out religious and sinister, and just talk music/drumming/gear.

What ‘cult-like’ followings have you observed, even identified with, in the drum world.

I’ve been a proud member of ‘the worlds largest cult-band following’ as a life-long Rush fan. But that hardly qualifies nor even meets the definition. It’s just a fun moniker. I think we Rush fans take pride in the bands work flying so high despite being less than commercially digestible.

In the drum world, I’m probably guilty of membership in the Mapex cult (if there is such a thing), as well as the Paiste crowd (too large to be a cult?). But again, are we fanatical? Or just part of a smaller, yet highly loyal, base of like minded blokes.

Sometimes when talking to other drummers I find some who are so loyal to a small brand I begin to wonder if they have a real passion for something that has worked well for them (I feel I am in that space), or if that same passion has gone to another, maybe even unhealthy level. One where their attachment has become so engrained the brand or item becomes, flawless!

What drum related “cults” have you ran across?
But please, Let’s keep it fun.
Buddy
Max
Elvin
Mitch
Gadd
Vinnie
Weckl
Neil

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You think Bozzio regrets that era?

And who wouldn’t want to get high and listen to Tool!?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Citrus Mod?
60s Oyster Black Pearl
Amber Vistalites
Song Remains The Same
Josie
Toto
Keltner's Cowboy boots.
Vulpeck? Snarky Pups (whatever they're called..
Vistalites list threads
moongel
double ply heads on floortoms
Ports
Risers
Double pedals and
Anything remote

Last edited:

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, when I think cult following I think of the total devotees to one brand, so much so that anything else is garbage to them. But I definitely see what you guys are saying about Buddy and Neil worshipers too.