Cult-like followings in the drum world

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'd say that there are lots of drummers who don't come up as often as the folks that are mentioned here a lot, but who still qualify for cult like admiration. A few of those that I'm also a big fan of are Elvin Jones (though he's arguably in the bigger, more canonized category), Billy Higgins and more currently Brain Blade...

Swissward Flamtacles

Reaction score
Bonham, Baker, Rich, Krupa, Peart
Black Beauty, Supraphonic, Sonor Signature
Old Ks, Paiste Sound Creation & 2002
Stick Control

Not saying that any of those are bad. You might get into youtube comment sections arguments, though: "So ahead of the game, they aren't even playing the game anymore yada-yada-yada!"
Then again, if you participate in youtube comment sections arguments, you're probably none the wiser.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are mine:
-Ludwig (Mojo, heritage, history, USA made and the sound plays a big role with loving them)
-Paiste (Same as above + quality. I'm part of it now and realize what I have missed out on. I don't see myself playing any other brand of cymbals)
-Aquarian drumheads (I won't touch another drumhead and haven't since I tried Aquarian a few years ago) Definite cult following!
-Rush (It's not just Neil, It's also Alex & Geddy)

Others that I've read about that have made me sense a cult following from owners:
-Mapex (Heavily defended by those who own them)
-A&F (You either love them or hate them. I see no middle ground with them)
-Rogers & Slingerland (Same reasons as Ludwig)

Last edited:

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Buddy Rich
Max Roach
Tony Williams
Art Blakey
Bill Bruford
Billy Cobham
Barrie Barlow
Neil Peart
Terry Bozzio
Vinnie Colaiuta
Dave Weckl
Jack DeJohnette
Ludwig Drums
Rogers Drums
Gretsch Drums

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
These are mine:
-Ludwig (Mojo, heritage, history, USA made and the sound plays a big role with loving them)
-Paiste (Same as above + quality. I'm part of it now and realize what I have missed out on. I don't see myself playing any other brand of cymbals)
-Aquarian drumheads (I won't touch another drumhead and haven't since I tried Aquarian a few years ago) Definite cult following!
-Rush (It's not just Neil, It's also Alex & Geddy)

Others that I've read about that have made me sense a cult following from owners:
-Mapex (Heavily defended by those who own them)
-A&F (You either love them or hate them. I see no middle ground with them)
-Rogers & Slingerland (Same reasons as Ludwig)
Absolutely agree that it wasn't just Neil, but Geddy and Alex. Saw Rush so many times, after awhile I stopped focussing on Neil and really got into the artistry of them as a band. Same with Yes, Genesis, Tull; but Rush helped transform me from always taking the drummer out of the equation in my listening to finally listening to the whole bands music.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
"drum world" in and of it'self Is Cult! LOl
you're either in it a part of it or (you're some other instrumentalist !
we live and die by wing screws.
Mylar is our friend.
Wood runs in our veins.
Is not clothing we wear its lacquer finishes and pearl.
See in depth x diameter

T-2

Reaction score
Steve Gadd had a huge moment, loved by drummers, artists, producers. He's still much loved and deservedly so, but for a while when I was a teenager, everyone I met, drummer or not, asked me about Steve Gadd.

I wasn't part of the club, but some fellas were growing beards and getting perms, lots of people playing that kit and those heads.... tuning the drums that way. It was remarkable.

karlcrafton

Reaction score
I'll say that when I was a kid, I was a LUDWIG guy, in the Slingerland v. Ludwig age.

In the 80's, I was obsessed with Yamaha, & their hardware, until they changed the design of the tilters and wingnuts (which might have been the 90's). God, I was a total Yamaha fanboy ...then I bought a brand new Ludwig kit in Jan '90 haha!!

Ludwig, Gretsch, and Rogers all have very loyal followings to this day.
For a while, it seemed like a majority of people LOVED the brand of heads they used, and HATED others. Those "other" brands have been called complete crap in many threads.
It's funny because, usually, the nuances of head sounds are subtle, and 5 feet away, you really can't tell the difference, but BEHIND the drum.... watch out haha!
It's all in how you tension a bass drum, tom or snare, and how that particular head reacts to how you hit a drum if you like the sound or not--or, if a coating lasts or not.

Corbin L Douthitt

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone wants something to 'believe in'- not everyone makes good choices. aka- misplaced loyalty.