Cult-like followings in the drum world

Vicey

Reaction score
I guess the white marine pearl cult is a subspecies of the Buddy cult. And BOP for the Ringovians.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Steve Gadd had a huge moment, loved by drummers, artists, producers. He's still much loved and deservedly so, but for a while when I was a teenager, everyone I met, drummer or not, asked me about Steve Gadd.

I wasn't part of the club, but some fellas were growing beards and getting perms, lots of people playing that kit and those heads.... tuning the drums that way. It was remarkable.
Yep, I knew guys running down to Seventh Avenue South in NYC every chance they got to see him.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Now that were 4 pages into it, can I ask to let go of the “Drum Thing” for a sec and ask how does a guy get the cult status of Bruce Springsteen? Okay, maybe there’s a song here and there that’s a bit different but, I mean c’mon, how many times can you tell us that “Life is Hard, on the Boule-Vard”?

Kirschdrums

Reaction score
Brand loyalty is a waste. Especially considering that most brands asian import models are all coming from the same factory. Same shells, same edges, same sound. The best thing a musician can do is ignore the looks and shop with your ears and hands. Choose your brand blindfolded and you know you have a winner. As someone who's gonna buy your album, I won't care what brand you play or what your drums look like, I just wanna hear the sound that's in your head, coming out.

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
"isolation"-this and "isolation"-that.
Most of the music I listen to, and really enjoy, was made before this was "the best thing since..."
And a good player playing my old 60's Ludwig kit sound great, without "isolation"-this and "isolation"-that.

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
The cult of "I don't need (fill in the blanks with product name) because (insert drum brand, drummer name or band name) didn't have them, and look at how great they were!".