Curious--What Makes for a Good Worship Cymbal?

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think I remember they're contracted; "stencil" cymbals. There's a gimmick where they'll give them to churches at a steep(le) discount or something. And a lot of them have that dark "braaaagh" sound you hear when the pie does its best impression of an organ stop.

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Any cymbal makes a great worship cymbal if it is played with a pure heart. The best worship cymbal playing is playing in such a way that does not garner attention from the overall vibe of the worship song and its sentiment.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
What makes for a good cymbal in any situation?

Use your ears and go from there.

On the one

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There is/was a YT video from winter NAMM a couple of years ago and worship leaders were shopping for cymbals that suited their needs. The Sabian rep demoed some "worship "cymbals for him. I don't play in church but all the church drummer videos I have seen they never use them. One guy was playing with a 20/21" Zildjian mega bell ride for worship! I get it the cymbals companies are trying everything they can to stay relevant or get a upper hand on their competitors. As others have posted earlier cymbals that say rock, jazz, worship, aren't just for that genre. I believe it's more of a marketing ploy than the true interest at heart.

Black Label

Reaction score
I don't buy into the concept at all - I agree with Johnny D that marketing a set as church / worship branded, could be a double edged sword. It's a marketing ploy and tends to pigeonhole instruments which is way more versatile than what the marketing label gives them credit for.

I play P&W in our church from time to time - it is a large 1000 plus seater auditorium with awesome sound - and I often use very "unworshippy" cymbals and the feedback is great - I normally use either Paiste Rude 15" or Paiste Twenty Custom Metal 15" hats with 19 and 20" 2002 crashes and 22" 2002 ride or 18 and 20" Paiste Twenty crashes with a 22" Dark Energy ride.

I therefor don't believe that there is such a thing as worship cymbals - Just because Hillsong uses Heartbeat cymbals, does not make them worship cymbals - they are just the cymbals that the drummer from Hillsong like. Tomorrow the drummer from Behemoth may take a liking to Heartbeat cymbals --- what then?

Cheers
Erik

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A little off-topic, but I had a drum customer who purchased a couple of very expensive Yamaha kits (one for church and one for home). He told me that his friends would come to his house and he would "minister" to them with his drum playing. Somehow, I've just never been able to capture exactly what that means or how it's done.

GeeDeeEmm

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’m not worried. Those packs are designed for beginners or church folk who may not know where to start. But yes, marketing...and that’s fine. No different than having a “metal” cymbal pack.

But I would just hope that people would seek out someone who is experienced before making a purchase based on the marketing terms. I had a friend that needed some cymbals for a church, and he went out and just got stuff from a local shop without asking me. He was in another state. I was like, bro...I could have selected everything for you and done the digging to get decent deals. But hey, guitarists know everything! Lol...

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
The Bible says "Praise Him with the high sounding cymbals, praise Him with the low sounding cymbals."

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Both my China's are Soultone Gospel. I never thought of the name having any religious connection to cater to church drummers. I just thought it was a name that they gave them. And they are loud as heck so I don't think they would work very well in a worship environment.

Latest posts