Very well Known Member
Reaction score
All I can say is "Lawd Have Mercy..."

ZZ TOP KIT.jpg
ZZ TOP KIT2.jpg

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
Also note the tom symmetry like what MM of Dream theater does these days.

think I read somewhere LB left this setup cause it was uncomfortable

jmato

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are probably mechanisms I cannot see, but if not, then those kick drums are awfully far apart to be played comfortably. At least, they would be for me.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frank Beard's set does a good job of hiding the drum machine and electronic pads. #Gimmeallyourlovin'

THIS.

It's kinda disappointing that he goes this route with triggers given he could have any kit and any sound he wants acoustically.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thing is though, on all their singles from Eliminator onward, the album drum sounds were either samples, or acoustic but processed to the point of sounding like samples. So to play the hits, why wouldn’t he play a trigger kit?

In a perfect world I’d love it if Frank got to use the same sort of raw, earthy sounds and organic expressiveness as Billy and Dusty. In that same world he’d be as admired for his tone and style as Billy is for his.

But that’s not the band we got, and not the direction they chose to go.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Frank Beard's set does a good job of hiding the drum machine and electronic pads. #Gimmeallyourlovin'
Every time I’ve seen Frank, he’s always his drum parts. A lot of his sounds may be triggered, but that’s all him as far as the playing goes. And he’s a darn good drummer.

utdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i'll probably get put on blast by VB but I seriously prefer the vintage Frank Beard sound. Old school Rogers kit backing a fantastic guitar section. Had a hard time relating to what he was doing drum wise in the 80's and 90's. Almost threw in the Top towel. Great drummer? you bet! Dig every sound he made? Not at all.

Attachments

• ZZ Top 1972.jpg
    ZZ Top 1972.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 277
  • frank beard.jpg
    frank beard.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 407

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
Above pic, hole in the tom reso with a mic shoved in like a bass drum
You don't see that much these days

David Hunter

DFO Master
Reaction score
i'll probably get put on blast by VB but I seriously prefer the vintage Frank Beard sound. Old school Rogers kit backing a fantastic guitar section. Had a hard time relating to what he was doing drum wise in the 80's and 90's. Almost threw in the Top towel. Great drummer? you bet! Dig every sound he made? Not at all.

Totally agree with you. His '70s output was great. As a small sampling, just listen to his powerful (and fast!) live drumming on Side 1 of Fandango, and his killer studio drum sound and creative playing on Side 2. Excellent drummer.

Treviso1

DFO Star
Reaction score
Anyone have any idea what the depth is on that center tom tom? I believe it is a 12" diameter tom, but the length almost looks 24" deep! Anyone ever sit behind one of his kits or get really close to one?