Custom acrylic build question regarding bass drum lugs.

StJohnStudioz

Reaction score
Hello fellow builders.

I'm creating a custom acrylic kit using shells from RCI that will be a replica of Bonham's famous Vistalites with some significant variations. Rather than put the mounted tom in a basket, I intend to use Ludwig's Atlas rail mount system. For the rail system to fit on a 22" bass, ten lugs are required. If the drum has only eight, the rail does not cover the span. Therefore, would I need the usual ten lugs on a 26" bass, or would I need twelve to insure the proper fit?

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow builders.

I'm creating a custom acrylic kit using shells from RCI that will be a replica of Bonham's famous Vistalites with some significant variations. Rather than put the mounted tom in a basket, I intend to use Ludwig's Atlas rail mount system. For the rail system to fit on a 22" bass, ten lugs are required. If the drum has only eight, the rail does not cover the span. Therefore, would I need the usual ten lugs on a 26" bass, or would I need twelve to insure the proper fit?

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The more, the merrier. Personally, I'd go for the dozen.

StJohnStudioz

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I was able to answer my own question. I have a spare rail system and a drilling layout mat from Drum Foundry. I put the rail just outside the 26" circle and examined the spacing. I'm reasonably confident that ten lugs will work while 12 lugs may not.