Custom built Maple Custom clone?

egw

Reaction score
Seems an incredibly expensive experiment to run. I’m definitely not at all sure that a glue-heavy 10 ply Keller would react the same as a Yamaha shell. You may be right, but I’d want to watch someone else do the experiment first before dropping the money and time into it. Or heck, I’d just start looking for a maple custom kit. They do come up for sale semi-regularly.
I know what you're saying, and I agree for the most part. I just don't know if there's really anything that unique about Yamaha's maple shell that you couldn't get with a Keller shell of similar thickness. Add the other necessary elements and I think you could get in roughly the same ballpark.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I know what you're saying, and I agree for the most part. I just don't know if there's really anything that unique about Yamaha's maple shell that you couldn't get with a Keller shell of similar thickness. Add the other necessary elements and I think you could get in roughly the same ballpark.
Yeah, the problem is that you may or may not be right. :D. Yamaha also mounts their lugs on the nodal point, so there'd need to be some attention to that. And each element that isn't exactly what Yamaha built takes you a small step away from the end result.

This is why I'm always skittish about custom builds of any sort. It's too much guesswork. If I want the sound that a particular drum makes, I can either do a ton of trial and error to eventually re-create that sound OR I could just buy the drum in question. I'd always rather just buy the drum. The Maple Customs are a pretty distinct voice, especially tuned high. If I want that sound, I'm going to try to either get a Maple Custom kit or I'll hit a lot of drums with similar specs until I find one I want.

fitzsy

Reaction score
If you have another kit to play in the interim, consider waiting and just seeing if the exact kit in the exact finish hits the used market in the next few years. It take away the artificial urgency and compulsion of the moment, and allows appetites to cool and vision to clear. Just a thought.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
The discussion reminds of the Baltimore Drum drumset I had briefly and also Eames...
There are some .....what would you call them, Speciality builders that can make drums equal to anything from every and any big name..at least in construction and solidity...if not in special lacquer finishes.
I miss Baltimore Drum in a way..

Reactions: egw

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ive read post hear and at cymbalholic where custom drum makers did "gretsch clones" and owners said they were "close" but not the same

If you missed it, I am not looking anymore for the MC.

I am playing my Slingerlands exclusively from this day forward (with my Chrome over brass Ludwig Coliseum)

Last edited: