Custom drum case

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Because of this, Hardcase put all of the stress onto the drum itself, making them the equivalent of a very thick bag (scuff / scrape resistant, but no structural integrity to the case itself). Wouldn't touch them with a 20-foot pole. It's an absolutely flawed design.
I only have one of these cases for a bass drum. It seems to work fine but I've been transitioning everything into bags anyhow. You may be right but I'm not sure that applies in the case of the OP's 10" deep bass drum which will likely be fully enclosed by a Hardcase without adding any strain to the drum itself.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I only have one of these cases for a bass drum. It seems to work fine but I've been transitioning everything into bags anyhow. You may be right but I'm not sure that applies in the case of the OP's 10" deep bass drum which will likely be fully enclosed by a Hardcase without adding any strain to the drum itself.
Oh absolutely -- very good point. If your drum is smaller than the "minimum" size of the Hardcase, then they work like any other case.

painful100

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I was able to talk with gator and they are cutting one for me. The guy who cuts the, was excited about it bc he doesn’t get to do it much. I was getting quotes off 400-500 from custom hard case/road case companies, but gator was able to hook it up for 190. Case is on its way

Reaction score
Because of this, Hardcase put all of the stress onto the drum itself, making them the equivalent of a very thick bag (scuff / scrape resistant, but no structural integrity to the case itself). Wouldn't touch them with a 20-foot pole. It's an absolutely flawed design.
When I explain this to people, they can't comprehend it. I have one Hardcase case, but only because I got it really cheap. I'm not too impressed with the rivets; some of which are covered in surface rust. My SKB's, which have been stored in the same conditions how zero signs of corrosion.

Hardcase's telescoping design is great... for production costs. One set of tooling covers multiple shell depths. Whereas other brands either need different tooling for their different depths, or they have to cut cases down.