header.nohb.html

Custom Drum Sticks

CigarScott

Reaction score
I've seen threads on here with people getting drum sticks made by folks who have the equipment in their garages or basement, which is awesome. It seems to me, that everyone getting their own sticks made are getting designs that were discontinued or designs from companies that no longer exist. Has anyone ever attempted to get a completely new design made, especially with someone that has the ability to do nylon tips?

I've attached a mockup of what I want. Basically a thicker Mike Mangini stick with the Trueline Tribal Assualt with a nylon tip. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• drum stick.png
    drum stick.png
    90.1 KB · Views: 35

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
If Jeff Rich was still making sticks I would highly recommend him.
He is, but slow as it's a one man operation, I just got two dozen pairs a couple months ago. Best to reach him on Facebook

email address you could try as well:

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
He is, but slow as it's a one man operation, I just got two dozen pairs a couple months ago. Best to reach him on Facebook
Yes, he is slow. I was frustrated during my first order, but when the sticks arrived they were impeccable and I became a fan. So he is still cranking them out?

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are there custom makers offering nylon tips at this time? When I looked into custom sticks a while back, I found no one that offered that option.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Are there custom makers offering nylon tips at this time? When I looked into custom sticks a while back, I found no one that offered that option.
Jeff Rich offered them. He is on facebook here:

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes Jeff Rich is still cranking out sticks. He posts almost every day on Facebook. He is a member here but doesn't post often. Great, great sticks....all I've been using for past 5 years or so. 50-100 gigs per year and only go through about a dozen sticks per year and I'm somewhat hard on sticks usually break the tip on the ride after dozen gigs or so or chew up the shaft on the hi hats. I should work on my technique :)

He makes me a 747 style stick that is somewhere between Promark's regular 747 and 747B

bbunks

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes Jeff Rich is still cranking out sticks. He posts almost every day on Facebook. He is a member here but doesn't post often. Great, great sticks....all I've been using for past 5 years or so. 50-100 gigs per year and only go through about a dozen sticks per year and I'm somewhat hard on sticks usually break the tip on the ride after dozen gigs or so or chew up the shaft on the hi hats. I should work on my technique :)

He makes me a 747 style stick that is somewhere between Promark's regular 747 and 747B
Jeff did a half dozen “Bob Gatzen” replica sticks, complete with the Regal Tip style lacquer for me last year. Very happy with his work.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
What's the price range for a pair of custom sticks?

I buy off-the-rack for $11 pr.
Somewhere in that range. I recall paying a lot less for the ones Jeff Rich made for me. My Bopworks sticks, which are off-the-shelf models that are clones of sticks of yesteryear run about $12 for their standard models; i.e., Birdland, 40s Swing, West Coast, etc., and slightly more for signature models such as Mel Lewis, Art Blakey, etc. I think the premium for the latter is a small part goes to the estates of the folks whom the models were named after.

CigarScott

Reaction score
I thought I saw someone that was able to do them a while ago. I should have bookmarked it at the time.

CigarScott

Reaction score
Has anyone bought sticks from this company in Greece? So far, they're the only company that can make what I'm looking for.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Has anyone bought sticks from this company in Greece? So far, they're the only company that can make what I'm looking for.

Have you tried LA Backbeat? He has off-the-shelf sizes, but will also make sticks to your specifications: