Custom Drum thrones

Salem street drums

DFO Sponsor
Reaction score
This started as a guitar stool project....but I figured why not make a few Drum thrones. First off I realize how impractical they are for a working drummer, but I think they will be a great addition to my practice room. Anyway, I roughed these out on the Band saw today and they will be carved out like a Maloof rocking chair. I’m still working on the base design. Pretty cool project.

Attachments

Barden

Reaction score
Got the base done. Time to carve the seat. All traditional joinery and all walnut!
What do you have for carving the seat? Assuming and angle grinder setup... Do you have an arbortech blade? I used a lancelot, but had to clean up more with a curved card scraper.

Salem street drums

DFO Sponsor
Reaction score
Holy crap. Those are sweet. What are you doing to keep the seat on the post?
I was going to do it with a floating tennon, but the seat looks really top heave, from a design point of view. I’ll probably make a wooden square bracket to taper the look into the post. The post looks like it skipped leg day with that big old seat on it.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, hahaha.

How does one carve out a seat? Do you sit on it and make adjustments over and over until it feels right?

Latest posts