Custom snare drum question: steel shell with fiberglassed interior

TomInHouston

Reaction score
I saw someone selling a customized Pearl snare drum. It is a 14" by 6.5" steel shell snare that they customized by fiberglassing the interior. It has a black sparkle finish and is fitted with Puresound wires (probably not important to my question).
Has anyone ever heard of this type of customization? What would your expectations be from it? Any thoughts or opinions anyone can share on this? Thanks!

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No. I never heard of it. I have heard of vibra-fibing wood shells. That’s the process of coating the wood with a Thin layer of fiberglass sealer. What is one sealing with a steel shell? Unless the fiberglass is thick like Fibes were and the wrap is glued to the fiberglass? Which by the way, Pearl used to do in the 70’s.

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not apples to apples, but I had a rogers holiday 20” bass drum years ago that someone had laid a layer of fiberglass inside to seek “more projection” in the 70’s. Didn’t sound to different than I would have expected it too without the glass. On a steel drum I imagine it would cut down on some overtones maybe split the difference in sound between metal and wood

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Laying fiberglass isn't all the hard to do.
Cut the fiberglass sheet to the correct size.
Epoxy the interior,lay and mold the fiberglass and add another layer of epoxy.
Let dry,sand to shape.
You're done.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
When people start “experimenting” with drums and/or cymbals, it’s usually a safe bet that the original recipe didn’t sound so hot. I’m always wary of DIY rivets, and ‘upgrades’ on drums - If you had a great sounding steel snare, would you be thinking “Hmm, wonder what would happen if I slapped a layer of fiberglass in there?” Probably not. But sometimes experiments DO work out and you get something better than the original. And hey, if the end result sounds good to you, maybe it’s a keeper.