Cut Badge Acrolite

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Saw this on CL. I feel like cut badges are much more common on Supras than Acros, but I’m not even positive I can recall a cut Acro now... Is that everyone else’s experience, too? The finish and knob are also wrong for the cut badge era.

Think it’s a re-badged Keystone or is it just another Ludwig oddity?

Attachments

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
That is a strange one. The muffler seems right for the era, as does the blackface P85. I guess if you could get a look at the inside of the shell at the grommet you might be able to tell if it has been replaced.

KCDrumDad

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not recorded a trimmed badge on an Acrolite either. They are usually on 400s and 402s. The early 1970s Acrolites often had small knob tone controls (same as used through much of the 1960s) and the 12 hole black face P-85, so those at least fit the timing of the badge without the circle R (roughly 1970-72).

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have not recorded a trimmed badge on an Acrolite either. They are usually on 400s and 402s. The early 1970s Acrolites often had small knob tone controls (same as used through much of the 1960s) and the 12 hole black face P-85, so those at least fit the timing of the badge without the circle R (roughly 1970-72).
D'oh! Of course. Anyone in northern Oklahoma wanna check it out?

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe your drum was made for the overseas market. I first played one on a rental kit for a two-week tour in Northern Ireland and that very same looking badged Acro was the supplied snare with the kit. I owned seven Acros bought over 50 years and none like your drum and those overseas. I only saw them on my tours in Europe and the Middle-east during the '80s with three different OEM tone controls. Never saw them in Asia or South America except on a tour in Argentina. It too was the supplied snare with the rented tour kit. Should've bought one.

Last edited:

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
They are very uncommon. I do have one in my collection. Took quite a few years to find it. Like the cut badge Supras, it appears that these drums were meant to have Keystone badges and the B/O badges had to be trimmed. This is certainly the case on mine as it even has the much larger hole in the shell meant for a baseball bat muffler, circa '68 at the latest. When I detailed mine, I even installed a white felt bat muffler to accentuate the oddity. The factory had a washer between the round knob muffler and the shell. Neat drums! Here are a couple of pics...the before detailed shot and one of after...Mike
My cut badge Acrolite.jpeg
My Ludwig Acrolite cut badge.jpg

Last edited:

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
I had to pay UP for mine...even in it's condition. But, I had to get it while it was available. I figure the lucky deals that I have found on other drums offset it somehow. Hope that somebody here got the one in question.

Mike