Cut Badge COB Supraphonic

nopork

Reaction score
I got this drum in a trade and it is the real deal late 60's early 70's COB cut badge. I just finished up a total rehab and it turned out very nice.
From what I gather there weren't many of these produced and they are quite rare. It has the "B'" above the tone control and I verified at a lug mounting hole that it truly is a brass shell.
All original parts appear to be there and I added the new Ludwig heads.
Thought I would share it with the group.

IMG_2596.JPG
IMG_4195.JPG
IMG_4619.JPG
IMG_1581.JPG
IMG_8231.JPG
IMG_3675.JPG

Last edited:

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Love these. I sold mine to help buy a Craviotto kit.

But yeah. Good score. What’d you swap ?

Last edited:

OttawaDrumGuy

Reaction score
Does yours have a sticker with date stamp inside? Mine was made on November 16, 1971, and am always curious whether others were made at the same time.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Cut badge equals B-stock correct? So I'm curious if you found the " issue" with the drum? I ask because I have a bronze piccolo 3x13 cut B/O badge and it took me weeks to find the defect.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Cut badge equals B-stock correct? So I'm curious if you found the " issue" with the drum?
The cut badge does equal a "B stock" on later drums but those badges have the rounded edges whereas this one has the pre-1979 pointy edges. There was a small batch of brass shelled Supras made around 1969-70 with similar cut badges and this appears to be one of those. In the case of these earlier drums the shells were apparently punched for keystone badges so it was required to cut the B/O badges to clear the bead.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The cut badge does equal a "B stock" on later drums but those badges have the rounded edges whereas this one has the pre-1979 pointy edges. There was a small batch of brass shelled Supras made around 1969-70 with similar cut badges and this appears to be one of those. In the case of these earlier drums the shells were apparently punched for keystone badges so it was required to cut the B/O badges to clear the bead.
Thanks Kevin! Learn something everyday. Just another reason that I love this place. Thanks again.

Reaction score
The 1969-70 COB Supras are stock number L406.
They're not "too rare" imo.
They show up in the market place regularly for around 500-700 dollars.
They're a bit lighter than Super 400's from a decade earlier.
I really like them and own a bunch of them!

OttawaDrumGuy

Reaction score
The 1969-70 COB Supras are stock number L406.
They're not "too rare" imo.
They show up in the market place regularly for around 500-700 dollars.
They're a bit lighter than Super 400's from a decade earlier.
I really like them and own a bunch of them!
In case it's of interest, mine has stock number L416 - I think the number is slightly different because of the super-sensitive strainer. And it was made in November 1971.