Cut down a Yamaha Maple Custom bass drum or live with it?

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hm, I doubt it will suddenly turn more resonant when cut down. More sensitive to lower dynamics, yes, but the shell is what it is. Do you know how tick it is? I think earlier ones were 10mm, later ones a bit thinner.
My Gretsch new Classic 20" is 10.5mm which is a lot but it somehow works. Started out as 20x18, I had it cut down before even taking it home, so I'm all for modding drums the way they fit you, but that scarcity argument above seems valid, too. You could get a Yamaha Absolute bass drum, or any 22x14 in natural wood. How does that Eames look with the toms?
That’s what makes me hesitate - the drum might not improve from being cut down. But since I figure I’m not selling the kit unless I have to, and I don’t want to have a bass drum sitting around thst I don’t use, maybe I have little to lose by cutting it down and everything to gain if it works out well.
The Eames is forest green with maple hoops and gold lugs. It actually compliments the kit really well.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hm, I doubt it will suddenly turn more resonant when cut down. More sensitive to lower dynamics, yes, but the shell is what it is. Do you know how tick it is? I think earlier ones were 10mm, later ones a bit thinner.
I don’t remember how thick it is. I’m guessing 10mm? That’s what I remember.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
You could buy a new shell and get a clear spray on it. Drill it for the hardware and edges you want and swap everything over. This way you don't damage the existing shell, which may still be a total dud even after cutting it down.
This is not a bad idea.

I’m still more inclined to have Precision cut it down though. I’m at the point where I want to see what happens rather than have a stand-in Yamaha bass, or something that’ll require a lot more work than just getting it cut down. And I‘m not sure how easily the finish of a new shell can be matched to a 23 year old drum.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm in a similar boat. Thinking about having Precision (1.5hr drive) cut my Gretsch New Classic 16x20 into a 12x20...

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm in a similar boat. Thinking about having Precision (1.5hr drive) cut my Gretsch New Classic 16x20 into a 12x20...
16x20 would be ok for me. Good size in terms of dpeth/diameter relation, see the 18-20 depth thread. My 18x20 NC turned out almost 13x20 when cut down to the lug holes, so yours might be almost down to 11", which is really short.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
It's a 22x18 Yamaha Maple Custom, gold lug 1997.

The toms have always sounded great... but the bass drum is a dud. For a Long time, I've debated shipping it off to Precision to have them make it a 22x14, but cutting it down doesn't guarantee it'll suddenly come to life. I've tried everything else: many different heads from most of the head makers, porting or not porting the front head, tuning every which way. You name it. But the drum sounds like a wet cardboard box.

I told myself I'm not selling this kit but with the way of the world, things could change one day and I know cutting it down will probably drop resale value. Just looking for ideas and suggestions from my DFO family!
You don't owe Yamaha your "soul"......on to another brand!

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

The toms have always sounded great... but the bass drum is a dud. For a Long time, I've debated shipping it off to Precision to have them make it a 22x14, but cutting it down doesn't guarantee it'll suddenly come to life. I've tried everything else: many different heads from most of the head makers, porting or not porting the front head, tuning every which way. You name it. But the drum sounds like a wet cardboard box.

I told myself I'm not selling this kit but with the way of the world, things could change one day and I know cutting it down will probably drop resale value. Just looking for ideas and suggestions from my DFO family!
I had the same feeling you did about an MC bass drum.
I read others did too
but
then I read one guy said it needs to to have a lot of dampening to sound right.
*Before you cut it
-Fill it with a blanket or two about half full.
-Ported reso head.
-Adjust the spurs so the reso side of the drum is angled about 2 inches off the ground.
Although mine was a 16x 22", it did the trick and was the best bass drum thump I ever heard.
It would shake my insides.

Last edited:

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

I would also suggest changing the title of your post to include the words
Yamaha Maple Custom.
I looked past this post numerous times because I didn't realise you were talking about
"Thee Yamaha Maple Custom Drums".
People are passionate about this line of drums and may be able to offer up additional ideas if you get their attention.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
You don't owe Yamaha your "soul"......on to another brand!
Nope! I don’t owe any of them my soul. The MC is my favorite kit right up there with the Eames. I can’t see letting her go only for the bass drum being a log.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had the same feeling you did about an MC bass drum.
I read others did too
but
then I read one guy said it needs to to have a lot of dampening to sound right.
*Before you cut it
-Fill it with a blanket or two about half full.
-Ported reso head.
-Adjust the spurs so the reso side of the drum is angled about 2 inches off the ground.
Although mine was a 16x 22", it did the trick and was the best bass drum thump I ever heard.
It would shake my insides.
Wild! I’d fully think that would make an already dead drum even worse. Easy enough to try it though. I never did put laundry in it. But man do I dislike the ported head sound!

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
except for that little thing called the biggest drum on the set, the bass drum?
Bass drum is the set isn't it, toms accessories... oh nevermind.
No I get it! The whole point of the thread is exactly that. Time to fix it. I don’t think buying another kit and moving on isn’t where I’m at though.
I do have my feelers out for a Renown 24-13-16 though.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
I would also suggest changing the title of your post to include the words
Yamaha Maple Custom.
I looked past this post numerous times because I didn't realise you were talking about
"Thee Yamaha Maple Custom Drums".
People are passionate about this line of drums and may be able to offer up additional ideas if you get their attention.
Good point. I hate it when I’m looking for info on a specific brand and the title doesn’t help to get there.

drumsforme

Reaction score
Had a 1997 Yamaha Maple Custom with the gold lugs- bought it in 1998....sold it in 2015. It had a 22x16" kick drum and I'm pretty darn good with tuning. Tried many different batter heads and started unported and then ported and I could never get the sound I wanted...It sounded boxy.
So in 2013 I bought a brand new Gretsch Brooklyn kit and that bass drum (22x18") was the bomb....it KILLED the Yamaha in every way. I probably should have had the edges redone on the MC and that would have fixed it. I felt bad when I sold it- The Toms were incredible!
yamaha.jpg

drumsforme

Reaction score
Had a 1997 Yamaha Maple Custom with the gold lugs- bought it in 1998....sold it in 2015. It had a 22x16" kick drum and I'm pretty darn good with tuning. Tried many different batter heads and started unported and then ported and I could never get the sound I wanted...It sounded boxy.
So in 2013 I bought a brand new Gretsch Brooklyn kit and that bass drum (22x18") was the bomb....it KILLED the Yamaha in every way. I probably should have had the edges redone on the MC and that would have fixed it. I felt bad when I sold it- The Toms were incredible! View attachment 448908
Even with an Aquarian SK-2 and a Regulator Reso did not help.....

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
If you can cut off the bass drum from the batter side without leaving extra holes from the lugs, I'd do it. Not sure of the placement of the vent hole or badge on your drum.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As the guy that drew the best wrath of 2019 on the custom threads for cutting down just an older Japanese made Tama birch Starclassic... I say... CUT IT DOWN!!!!

True, the resale value may take a hit but it may not! The guy who bought my Tama kit bought it BECAUSE of the kick, Tama never offered a 14X20 for that line and he loved it!

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wild! I’d fully think that would make an already dead drum even worse. Easy enough to try it though. I never did put laundry in it. But man do I dislike the ported head sound!
I know, its counterintuitive.
Please let me know if it worked.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
So in 2013 I bought a brand new Gretsch Brooklyn kit and that bass drum (22x18") was the bomb....it KILLED the Yamaha in every way. I probably should have had the edges redone on the MC and that would have fixed it. I felt bad when I sold it- The Toms were incredible! View attachment 448908
The toms are so good, they're the reason I don't want to ditch the kit. If the bass drum was just as good, I might not care if I ever played another kit. Sort of.