Cut down cymbal

wackjob

Reaction score
Hey. I just cut down a badly cracked Zildjian K 17" dark crash that i killed years ago. Wasn't holding out for much success but i am very happy with the result. I have a little splash cymbal now which sounds kind of industrial. I really like it, so much so that i just played my kit and couldn't stop hitting it.

I have another K dark crash which is fooked but that is beyond any repair. Currently looking at the first decent cymbal i ever bought - a Zidjian A 16" rock crash. That is cracked right near the bell but still sounds ok with no nasty noises.Not sure what to do with that one. Drill a hole at the ends of the crack ?

Old Dog

Reaction score
I had a 16" hard rock crash with my last kit that I had to sell off years ago. I really miss that cymbal. Best I've owned.

wackjob

Reaction score
Hey. Yeah, it was my first decent cymbal. I find it a bit thick and unresponsive to light sticking now but back in the day when i was learning it was awesome. Could still be good if you hit the thing hard enough.

At the other end of the scale are the K dark crashes. I had two, a 17" and a 18". I loved the sound of these. But after both failed (and i am not a hard hitter) i decided against getting any more. Moved to zildjian A custom 18" and 19". Had those bloody years and they are still perfect. If i was playing just jazz though i would prefer the K series.

wackjob

Reaction score
Right. Drilled two holes and followed the crack with a dremel with cutting disc inserted. Job done. Zildjian A 16" rock crash back in service.

Sounds great and not far off what i can remember it sounding like last time i played it (over 10 years ago).

So i have two more cymbals salvaged from junk that i thought were only good for hanging on the wall or making clocks out of.

I need to post up some pics before yall think i am making this up :icon_lol:

polycrescendo

Reaction score
I have repaired many cymbals and end up with some amazing sounding results. Currently playing on a repaired A custom splash with an edge repair and a bell repair. It now sounds like an Oriental splash and I love it.

wackjob

Reaction score
Hey. My little 11" splash made from a 17" zildjian k dark crash sounds very industrial. Like a sound you get on an industrial kit from a drum module.

I like it but when i played it to a band member (also a professional sound engineer) he said wow but qualified that with "but of course its for occasional use only, right ?".

Not a real fan of cymbals the guys in that particular band. When i played my repaired 16" rock crash he said "very good, but it still sounds like a cymbal" :crybaby:

Latest posts