Cutting an inlay at home.

LBCD

Reaction score
I’ve been wanting to cut inlays into my Slingerland bass drum hoops and gave it a shot this morning. Really not that hard to do and my first try ever turned out great. I thought this up falling asleep last night LOL.
I have a router table I made years ago that I just set on 2 horses. I took a piece of birch plywood I had in my scrap bin and mounted my Makita trimmer/router to it. Then mounted the board at 90* with c-clamps to my table...it’s half a**ed but it gets the job done...here are a few pics.

6DB9BC0E-E37A-4604-B0C9-2B08BF3D281E.jpeg

4857B12B-F749-4979-9553-EE9F5D9B7E7C.jpeg

3A6392DD-DB93-4A0C-A03A-DD6498D9B287.jpeg

7E836610-DFC5-44FC-8451-FC19B44B49D4.jpeg

BF1CB2FC-94E1-4826-BA43-90A107F81A18.jpeg

EE36995D-B69F-456F-B3DC-6423C2CF9F0C.jpeg

12DCFEE4-A6E7-4107-92E9-91529C4E4F9B.jpeg

Last edited:

burgundy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I to have done this, my hoop standing up , turning it into the rotor, for guys that are used to working with wood, no problem, for a first timer, scary, I had a friend who shoved his finger thru a planer!

LBCD

Reaction score
I to have done this, my hoop standing up , turning it into the rotor, for guys that are used to working with wood, no problem, for a first timer, scary, I had a friend who shoved his finger thru a planer!
I used to pick up my raw keller shells from AIT about a 30 min drive from me and I saw the jig for cutting inlays they had set up in their warehouse. It was like your jig with the hoop standing up, the worker said it was tricky but once you get the feel its all good. Going to try do an inlay in a snare shell just for fun.

nylontip

Reaction score
This is brilliant! Nice job. I noticed one of the key elements here are the 2 stops clamped at the sides to guide the hoop. This enables you to cut these on a flat table which insures safety, accuracy and
easy to handle. I stayed away from cutting these vertically because it's not that safe without a proper jig (which is why the shop guys say it's "tricky")
Thanks for sharing!

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
what kind of hoop and kit are you working on?
Reason it came up was because a lot of the readily available hoops with inlays cut, have cutout for .75" width. I wanted to use .5" inlay. So, I was going to purchase some standard maple hoops and try and add my own .5" inlay cut out.

drumtek

Reaction score
I’ve been wanting to cut inlays into my Slingerland bass drum hoops and gave it a shot this morning. Really not that hard to do and my first try ever turned out great. I thought this up falling asleep last night LOL.
I have a router table I made years ago that I just set on 2 horses. I took a piece of birch plywood I had in my scrap bin and mounted my Makita trimmer/router to it. Then mounted the board at 90* with c-clamps to my table...it’s half a**ed but it gets the job done...here are a few pics.

View attachment 438761

View attachment 438762

View attachment 438763

View attachment 438764

View attachment 438765

View attachment 438766

View attachment 438767
Great job. I too have a project coming up that I will do inlays on. I like this idea

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks great! Nice work sir.

Side question: is your router table steel? It looks like you may have had it ground flat, if so what are the specs?

LBCD

Reaction score
Looks great! Nice work sir.

Side question: is your router table steel? It looks like you may have had it ground flat, if so what are the specs?
Thanks! it’s a 1/4” aluminum top mounted with countersunk flat head screws to 1x2 steel tubing frame. I then just clamp it to 2 horses, easy to store.

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks! it’s a 1/4” aluminum top mounted with countersunk flat head screws to 1x2 steel tubing frame. I then just clamp it to 2 horses, easy to store.
Was the top "flattened" or "true'd" at all? Did bolting it to the steel frame make it flat? I only ask because my current DIY router table is sandwiched plywood and it has an ever so slight curve so if I don't pay close attention to where the shell is while routing I have to go back and redo it. I would like to get something nice and flat.

LBCD

Reaction score
Was the top "flattened" or "true'd" at all? Did bolting it to the steel frame make it flat? I only ask because my current DIY router table is sandwiched plywood and it has an ever so slight curve so if I don't pay close attention to where the shell is while routing I have to go back and redo it. I would like to get something nice and flat.

Yes, sorry didn't understand...the 1x2 frame was tack welded while clamped in a jig and the 1/4'' aluminum top doesn't have much flex either.

Latest posts