Cutting back to a two piece set

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Due to back problems and recent back surgery, I'm going to a two piece set, bass and snare, a couple cymbals.

For occasional big time gigs, I'll use the whole set, but for most of my sheeet, I can get by with a two piece.

I've done quickie gigs in the past with a two piece. It's fun. It develops your snare drum / bass pedal coordination. You end up doing a lot of tom licks on the bass drum. Plus, it's good for your snare chops.

I'll do it on my next two gigs and see how it goes. I don't expect any problems, other than the occasional customer who comes up and says, "Why do you have such a little drum set?"

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ah, the old 2 piece bikini kit. What size is the "bottom"?

I made a mini bass out of a 10x14 70's Slingy tom, and mounted a snare stand on it and a tom mount for a cymbal L-arm. This way, both the tom and snare fit in one bag. Perfect for soft, quiet jazz/coffee house gigs.....

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I've done tons of gigs on a 2 piece - mostly blues based stuff - half the time the band didn't even notice. You will definitely learn to get the most sounds out of it!

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
My giggling days are done, but I do still play in church almost every week. I play a 4-piece with hats, ride and 2 crashes. However, I couldn’t tell you the last time I hit a Tom!! I could cut it down to a bikini kit, but because I don’t have to move them, I leave them set up. I do like the look.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
(glad ) Take a floor tom ..and Go crazy
(If snare and bass drum is a Bikini; What's a Snare, Bass and Floor tom called?
A One-Piece??

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
"Why do you have such a little drum set?"
When that guy asks that say "They're out in the car, can you go get them?"
then send him about 4 blocks away looking for a "grey van...."It's open" as he walks away..
OR
Tell him a story "my apartment was broken into; I'm accepting money donations, I need around 100$..."
Or
"They are there we're just not mic'ing them tonight.."
Or
"Yeah. This way I can play in any Key"

Last edited:

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know you're going to do what you want, but it takes literally no more effort or space to bring along a handy little DW 12" piccolo tom. It gives you a lot more options for the same amount of effort.

2018-06-29-Romilos001.JPG IMG_9380.JPG 2016_10_23-FallFestival006.JPG

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'll be sure to use it.
(never ever
Unless I find myself working in the Ladies Dept.