Cutting Down Drum Hoop

timthetwin

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am considering embarking on a bop kit project. I am thinking about recycling parts from an existing kit. Is it possible to cut down 22” hoops to fit a converted 18” floor Tom to bass drum? The hoops are the pearl export metal hoops.

thanks,

Tim

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
I cut 18s to a 17, because 17s are not available anywhere, but it is not worth the effort and hassle to try and get a 22 to flex down that far evenly. Better to just buy some 18s

HoorayGuy

Reaction score
Yikes, yeah, I'd say it would be WAY more hassle than it's worth.

timthetwin

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cut 18s to a 17, because 17s are not available anywhere, but it is not worth the effort and hassle to try and get a 22 to flex down that far evenly. Better to just buy some 18s
ok, thanks for the input. I saw hoops are not to expensive, and the wood will probably give a nice look.

kopterguy

Reaction score
I tried it on some old marching band hoops but it was too much without steaming. One ply would probably steam, laminated comes apart. Now I was bending a 29" hoop to 18". 22'' might work with a good form and some heat applied while it's on the form. the next problem was getting it flat. Drum Factory Direct has the black painted hoops in stock but not the unfinished ones.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say no way. You'd have to weld it and hope the seams held. Just buy them. Nothing against metal hoops though....

kopterguy

Reaction score
Oops, I didn’t see the part about metal hoops

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a set of 16" metal hoops on a Ludwig micro bop kit I built over Covid. Bass is a converted 12x16 marcher. It was a prototype kit so I didn't buy Hoops as these were sitting around, but the bass sounds great.

Whether metal or wood, you're losing 13" cutting down and I don't know how you keep the hoops round even if you found a way to make a strong joint....

burgundy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i did try a metal hoop, 22" to 18" i did get it bent, but had a lot of kinks in it, impossible to get it in round, now i do have a set of new black 18: hoops , pm me if any interest,

Attachments