Cutting down Hi Hat pull rod

Mackermanesq

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got an old Capelle hi hat stand with a cut down rod--anyone want to trade for a longer one?

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey, we need to appreciate a forum member who is the ultimate authority and always has the correct approach for every situation.
Awwww....shucks AR!

You didn't have to go *that* far....but it's nice that you recognize it and are willing to point it out for everyone!

Cheers mate!

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I noticed it when I was watching Grohl play drums for Tom Petty on SNL after Nirvana. I'm not sure how long he kept it like that though.
Dave Grohl and that performance was the first thing I thought of. He had it close to that high when Nirvana was on SNL in '93 and most pictures show it quite high.

Peano

Reaction score
On this 90's Ludwig hi hat stand the pull rod is ridiculously long. So time for a trim. I didn't want to cut the finished end so my only option was the threaded end. I got this tap and die set from Harbor Freight and it's come in pretty handy from time to time. I wanted to remove 5" so I put the pull rod in the vice and started threading little by little. You have to go a few threads then back out and remove excess material. And repeat and repeat til you're at your desired length. Then broke out the hack saw and then filed the threaded end smooth. Works like a charm!

View attachment 433744 View attachment 433745
Heavy cymbal on top? That's kinda weird. I was always taught heavy on bottom, light on top.

cruddola

Reaction score
I must have at least two-dozen rods that I've put the band saw to! I won't even waste time making it pretty. Put it to a grinding wheel to smooth it over and a dab of clear nail polish to seal out rust. Got some over 3 decades without a sign of rust. The most I ever have sticking out the top is about 1/4 inch. I have two slamming ching-ring tambourines on a second hi-hat and a pair of Ice-bells slamming into each other on a third. Nothing worse than the damn rod getting in the way!

manxappa

Reaction score
here's the question....WHY do they make 'em so friggin' long these days in the first place???

(had one, pearl IIRC, looked to be a foot too long, got in the way of any LSR or crash.... hacksaw-grind-fine file smooth fixed that quick.)

I'm back to vintage now, even fits in the golf/travel/hardware bag without breaking it down....
I think they make them that long to make assembly easier.

If like me you split the stand to fit it in your traps case, it makes it easier to locate the top rod into the bottom rod whilst leaving the top rod/tube/clutch assembled.
Less fumbling around trying to meet the two parts, or trying to get the top rod to locate to the centre of the plastic part at the top.

I considered cutting mine down but decided against it for this reason.

ThomasL

Reaction score
I think they make them that long to make assembly easier.

If like me you split the stand to fit it in your traps case, it makes it easier to locate the top rod into the bottom rod whilst leaving the top rod/tube/clutch assembled.
Less fumbling around trying to meet the two parts, or trying to get the top rod to locate to the centre of the plastic part at the top.

I considered cutting mine down but decided against it for this reason.
If you cut the rod, you can also cut the tube it goes into.

manxappa

Reaction score
If you cut the rod, you can also cut the tube it goes into.
fair point. I clearly wasn't thinking outside the tube.
So the correct answer to rpludwig's question is: because they also make the tubes too long.

Last edited:

Latest posts