Cutting Gretsch USA Custom down (18" to 14")

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a 12/14/22 coming my way. It was a solid deal. Very excited, not so excited about the 18" depth of the kick. I was going to drive it down to Precision to have it taken down to 14". This is doable, right?
IMG_5904.JPG
IMG_5905.JPG

Last edited:

jaymandude

Reaction score
To be sure... you're talking about cutting an 18x22 down to 14", taking that off the batter side ? Is there room on the spur side ? Where where does the bearing edsge end up if you do that ? I'm thinking you might need to plug 1 lug hole with plugs cut from the 4" removed to match

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I imagine it would be off batter side. Or 2" off each side? This is uncharted territory for me. I just don't want to compromise the integrity too much. If it will look butchered, I would be better off selling...though I would really really like to make this work.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I don't think (....) it's worth the trouble; they're beautiful As is.. Tell the singer to move over;
I'd maybe get rid (take off) the arm and mount and lighten it up a little.

Be nice to have a Rail on that but it's too late

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just now sent him a message to confirm that these aren't indeed Brooklyn series. I sent him a message before purchasing saying Customs usually have die cast hoops. He said he had Gretsch make these with different hoops...but now you all got me thinking. Customs are gold badge.
Hmmm. The thread has changed course, haha.
(These haven't shipped yet)

drumstuff66

Reaction score
Thinking out loud while trying to visualize: If you do end up getting them, anything taken off the batter side would bring the tom mount that much closer to you, the player (or technically, the player closer to the mount)....am I thinking that through right? If so, and if it matters, something to keep in mind when talking to Precision...

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Brooklyns are black round badges. And yeah, the badges should clarify it.

Anyway, yes-- it can be done. I'd recommend getting measurements on a standard Gretsch 14x22 and seeing if if it's possible to recreate those proportions. Like, don't philosophize about it. There are a million 14x22 Gretsch bass drums out there. find out how far it is from the batter bearing edge to the edge of the mount and from the front edge to the front of the mount. Then, have either one or both edges cut to get those measurements right. Warning that it could turn into an expensive project, but I'm sure it's one Precision has done often.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
IMG_5913.JPG

That's a Brooklyn then...
Black badge, 302 hoops.
He said he waited 3 months for these.
Hmmm. Brooklyns are sweet drums but I jumped at this because they were listed as USA Customs.

Last edited:

Skeet6

Reaction score
Another vote for "not USA Custom" and another vote for yep, bring to Precision, they'll take care of you, 1000%. Will it be a little under 14"? Probably. That said, I'd leave it.
Count the plies. Broadkaster is 3 ply... that's a Broadkaster series, I'd bet. (Thanks Pert for the correction)
Mike B

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'd chop 4" off the front side and get the bearing edge redone along with new lug holes....easy peasy for Precision.

But:
1) I WISH I was within driving distance from Precision....dang!
2) Apparently those are NOT USA Customs......I have to agree......new USA's have a full brass colored badge...sorry....

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I sent him link to this thread.
Red flags? Gretsch people, what should the inside tag say exactly? Just a very clear "USA CUSTOM?

"Don’t listen to these people. Wait for them to arrive and see for yourself.
If you insist I will unbox the Tom and take a picture for you. Tell me exactly what you want to see."

jb111

Reaction score
The label/sticker inside should say, "That Great Gretsch Sound"

I know some people have ordered USA Customs with the black badges, but you never know.

flam254

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is that the original stock logo head on the front of the bass drum? If so, typically the Brooklyn's have the centered logo, USA customs are off center if I remember correctly. Then again, he could have had that changed as well....