Cutting Gretsch USA Custom down (18" to 14")

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Brooklyns are still nice drums (and USA built not Taiwan) Still Nitrocellulose lacquer etc; and if you got them for 1100$ or less You Did Well.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Is that the original stock logo head on the front of the bass drum? If so, typically the Brooklyn's have the centered logo, USA customs are off center if I remember correctly. Then again, he could have had that changed as well....
You're right. I just looked up a bunch of images to compare kick heads. You guys are good.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
To summarize:

1. Black round badges
2. 302 Hoops
3. Centered kick logo

Awfully strange if someone who wanted a USA Custom asked Gretsch to make it look exactly like a Brooklyn.

jb111

Reaction score
You're right. I just looked up a bunch of images to compare kick heads. You guys are good.
When you order a USA Custom you have options for BD Resonant head and logo placement. Not saying this is, but you can definitely get a USA Custom with a centered BD logo.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
More likely the Seller knew they were part of the three USA Lines.... and USA... custom just spilled out his brain?..

They're still baddaz drums they just look Gretsch sound little like Ludwig'.....

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The thing is, I guess, that technically the USA Custom, Broadkaster, and Brooklyn lines are all "custom" -- you can order all sorts of things for each of those lines. But the USA Custom is a 6 ply maple/gum shell, die cast hoops, and that brass badge unless ordered otherwise. Brooklyns are 302 hoops, 6 ply maple/poplar, and the black and silver badge.

Don't listen to us? I got my information on the damned Gretsch web site. Where did he get his?

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Also, the Brooklyn sticker inside the shell will look like this.

Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 10.22.01 PM.png

Broadkaster sticker is like this:

Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 10.23.52 PM.png

I haven't bought a USA Custom since the introduction of the Broadkaster line, so I don't have any pics of the new USA Custom sticker. But you should be able to see it through either the hole in the badge (it's usually directly across) or via the bottom head if it's clear.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Also, the Brooklyn sticker inside the shell will look like this.

View attachment 449916

Broadkaster sticker is like this:

View attachment 449918

I haven't bought a USA Custom since the introduction of the Broadkaster line, so I don't have any pics of the new USA Custom sticker. But you should be able to see it through either the hole in the badge (it's usually directly across) or via the bottom head if it's clear.
I think Bellbrass’s current thread on his new Mystic Blue USAC’s shows such a sticker.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
You can find used USA custom kits at decent prices in the sizes you want. Precision does great work, but I'd pass on the buy and get what you want - save yourself the hassle.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Refunded. I asked for picture of inside sticker and that's when things got cold. Would've been ok deal as Brooklyn, but steal as a Custom. Thanks for your insight and eyes.
Did he admit they were Brooklyns, then? Or what?

Anyway, I'm glad that you didn't end up with a deal you'd regret.

thestorysold

Reaction score
Refunded. I asked for picture of inside sticker and that's when things got cold. Would've been ok deal as Brooklyn, but steal as a Custom. Thanks for your insight and eyes.
hopefully he changes the description of wherever they are listed so he doesn't screw someone over. nice that you were able to be refunded without any issue.

markie04drum

Reaction score
Real quick note about the head, I ordered USA Customs with 2 bass drums and asked that the Gretsch Logo be placed at center, not offset. You can order them with black, white, or Fiberskyn with logos offset or centered at 12:00. That said, my badges are gold and with die-cast hoops. I suppose they can do anything, but different badges, and hoops are outside of the options on their website at least.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
that's good to hear. did he ever follow up with you? it almost seems like he's upset with you that he had them listed wrong.
Never heard anything after refund. UPS was picking up the drums this morning. I asked him again to take a picture of the inside of a drum or issue refund because I would reject them and it would become a chore for both of us. My refund came 5 minutes after.