Cutting Gretsch USA Custom down (18" to 14")

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's on Reverb. I won't call him out, but it's easy to find.

Reactions: JDA

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Refunded. I asked for picture of inside sticker and that's when things got cold. Would've been ok deal as Brooklyn, but steal as a Custom. Thanks for your insight and eyes.
- That's probably for the best.

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
To answer the original question: It should be doable. I had it done on a Mapex Meridian maple bass drum. It was actually a 17.5" deep shell, but I had them cut the 4 (actually 3.5") off the batter side. The cut cleared the back of the lugs, and was well in front of the air vent hole. Resurrection cut the new edge and drilled the new lug holes for me. Cutting down on the front head side adds all sorts of problems with plugging holes, drilling new holes, more edge cutting, maybe having the edge be where lug holes are... it's a mess. Chop it all off the beater side, but double check you'll clear the lugs and air vent.

Was it worth it? No. The sound change was minimal, although carrying it around was a lot easier. For the cost, I could've bought another used or NOS bass drum. I'm not upset with the shop. They did great work and I knew it would cost a lot. It was an experiment, and sometimes experiments don't go the way you think they will.

As far as moving the toms closer, that wasn't an issue for me. I offset my toms to a stand. With the Mapex Meridian hardware, that allows you to swap a tube on a cymbal stand. So the cymbal stand becomes a double tom holder with a cymbal arm on top (if you buy an extra arm) and the top of the cymbal stand now fits in the mount on the bass drum. So I used it as a straight stand instead of a boom arm.