Cymbal Advice

CherryRed

Reaction score
Here are the cymbals I have now.
16" Zildjian A Thin Crash
20" Paiste 302 Ride
16" Cracked Zildjian ZXT Crash
8" Paiste Signature Splash

Here's the problem. I don't really use the splash because I play a lot of indie and rock type stuff that doesn't require one, and I don't really like it in general. I am already planning on buying a 18" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash to replace the cracked ZXT. Should I use the money from the splash to buy a wuhan 18" china (or similar) or to upgrade my ride? Or should I just not sell it all? Are there any medium-range rides or chinas you would reccomend? Please help. Thanks in advance.

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Reaction score
Once you've replaced the ZXT Crash with the Paiste Alpha, the weak link in your cymbal lineup would be the Ride, so I'd upgrade that next. Unless you already love the sound you're getting from the 302 now.

CherryRed

Reaction score
I really can't complain about that ride. Its really dirty and old and has a sweet darkish tone to it. I don't like the bell sound, but thats not a big problem. You don't think I need a china?

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Reaction score
That depended on what you thought of your Ride. IMO, a Ride is more important than a China. So if you're happy with your Ride, get the China. If you're not quite happy with the Ride, upgrade it before getting a China. :)

Drumstyx7a

Team DFO
Reaction score
I firmly believe that the ride is the more important of the two cymbals you mention .... But I will follow along in the splashy and watery path of our fish brother with the advice.

If and when you do decide to go with a china and you want a Wuhan go ahead and get a good sized one like an 18 or even a 20 and to help keep it in good shape chase down an Aquarian cymbal spring to use in mounting it .... it'll help keep that cymbal around for a LOOONNNNNGGGGGG time!

Robb

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Reaction score
Drumstyx7a said:
to help keep it in good shape chase down an Aquarian cymbal spring to use in mounting it .... it'll help keep that cymbal around for a LOOONNNNNGGGGGG time!
Cymbal spring? What's that all about?

reidjazz

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Coelacanth said:
Drumstyx7a said:
to help keep it in good shape chase down an Aquarian cymbal spring to use in mounting it .... it'll help keep that cymbal around for a LOOONNNNNGGGGGG time!
Cymbal spring? What's that all about?
Coelacanth,
Cymbal Springs, I think originally developed by Roy Burns of Aquarian, have been around for at least 25 years, maybe longer. A picture below:

Drumstyx7a

Team DFO
Reaction score
What Reidjazz said ...

The red one is a bit smaller diameter on the spring than the yellow one.

The spring will fit right over the top of the cymbal stand screw and is tightened down with the wing nut and will not damage the threads. I first saw them being used with inverted Chinas .... they allowed the cymbal to be struck fully and not put stress on the bell and hole.

Several people on the forum use them for all cymbals.

Robb

CherryRed

Reaction score
Yeah, I was definately going to go for an 18". But yeah, those cymbal springs are really cool. Are they hard to find?