header.nohb.html

Cymbal Advice

remhed

Reaction score
I know it’s a highly personal thing, but I’m hoping to get some advice on what cymbals to buy. I am a hobbyist, not a pro. I play in a local band here in Indy and we play a Replacements/BoDeans/Gaslight Anthem style of Americana (here’s a video from a recent show if you’re interested
). My current cymbal set up is 14”HHX Evolution hi-hats; 15” and 16” Paiste Signature Fast Crashes; an 8” AAX China/splash; and a 22” Zildian A ride (forget the exact model).

Overall I am happy with this arrangement. I have been thinking about replacing the ride for a while- it doesn't have the bell definition I’d like and I’d like to be able to ride the edge and get a better washy sound like you hear in a lot of modern rock music (like Gaslight Anthem).

Problem I currently have is both of my Paiste crashes are cracked. I have had them for probably 8+ years so I have gotten good use out of them. I have thought about just replacing them with the same models, but they are very pricey and I’m concerned that my playing style is a bit too rough / hard for these cymbals.

When I go to the local GC or Sam Ash (they have the best selection of cymbals in my area), I am still drawn to the Paiste Signatures, but when I listen to sound clips on line I like a lot of the Sabian AA and AAX crashes.

I see a lot of guys on the forum buy cymbals on Craig’s List or eBay but I don’t know enough about all the nuances between the different brands and models to be able to do that with any confidence.

So any general (or specific) advice anyone would like to give me?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Hodgson

Advanced Forum Guru
Reaction score
First off, very nice playing ... good sounds all around!

On cymbals, you're right: highly personal. Lots and lots and lots of different ways you could go with this. The only real definite reaction I had to your video was that your "Fast Crashes" are too fast (very likely exacerbated by the fact that they're cracked). You've got a big sound as a band, and I think some bigger crashes with more sustain would serve you well. They'll ooze through the mix rather than slice over top of it. (That would please *me* so I guess we're back to "highly personal.")

I was about to recommend a bunch of very specific things -- and I actually typed it all out -- and then deleted it. No reason to put you on some wild goose chase that leaves you frustrated when you can't find or don't like what some random Internet idiot recommends ... LOL! If you're inclined toward the Paiste Signatures, then I say go for it. Your local stores don't carry Sabians ... surprised(?)

Ely

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Since this is highly personal, I will answer as if I am in your position. I would go for some used big crashes like an 18 and a 19. And as for the ride I would go with an A custom medium ride or a sweet ride

bolweevil

DFO Master
Reaction score
I recommend spending way too much time on mycymbal.com watching video clips of cymbals (that's what I do, even when I don't have any disposable income!) Then you can get an impression of what sounds good to you and go from there.

The For Sale section on this forum rocks, by the way.

Drummer233

Reaction score
My cymbal.com is responsible for 90% of my data usage.

remhed

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I wasn't familiar with mycymbal.com and that will surely be a huge time suck! I'm not really familiar with Bopshorus cymbals but I am digging the sound of some of the Traditional line. Theres too many choices though very hard to hone in on something...

remhed

Reaction score
FYI I ended up buying a 16" AAX Stage Crash and an 18" AAX Stage Crash. I played one show with these- I am liking the 18" - it is LOUD, but luke warm on the 16". I almost pulled the trigger on a 19" AAX Xplosion Crash- sounded great but not sure it works for our style of music.

They are both definitely different than the Paiste Signatures- the HHX Evolution crashes seem to have a similar sound to the Paiste's...

drumedge

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
To me, your crashes sounded fine. The bell on your ride is what made me cringe. When you played on the body of the ride it sounded better but that bell is too much for my ears.

remhed

Reaction score
drumedge said:
To me, your crashes sounded fine. The bell on your ride is what made me cringe. When you played on the body of the ride it sounded better but that bell is too much for my ears.
The crashes were cracked and needed to be replaced.
Did you think the bell was too loud or just didn't like the tone? I'm not a huge fan of that ride- it is a 21" Zildjian A.

drumedge

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
To me, cracked or not, those crashes sound fine. I liked the ride overall but that bell has too much nuts for a bar gig:)

bolweevil

DFO Master
Reaction score
While I thought the bell on the ride was alright, I think a darker sound would suit the music better (at least the song in the clip). Think Zildjian K or K custom, Sabian HHX or HH, etc.

and +1 to bigger, maybe more full-bodied crashes.

All of the above is suited to my own tastes, of course. You may feel different.